Chapter 57: You scared me

Começar do início

I pulled my hand away from his.

He had no need to be here. It was best if he left. I was grateful for everything he had done for me but here was when our journey ended.

He tore his eyes away from me and stared at the floor before looking up at me again. "I know that a lot of things have happened, but I promise you that from now on, things will be different. I'm deeply sorry for everything I did. I should never have acted that way. I lost sight of who you really are when I felt hurt and betrayed. And mostly, I felt like I had lost you. As if I never had you in the first place. And that scared me. I acted out in the worst way possible without hearing  you out first and for that I'm sorry." He explained.

I understood him too. I made a lot of bad decisions that I thought were good at the time and he reacted that way because of it. I should have never done any of what I did either. I know and understand that lies can never be good.

But I wish things were different.

"You should leave," I finally replied. My mouth became dry, perhaps because I knew I was about to tell one final lie.

"Of course, you need some rest. I'll see you in the morning." He concluded. He smiled at me weakly and then leaned in to kiss me on my forehead.

"You shouldn't come back," I added as he pulled away.

He now stared at me with confusion, but he dismissed whatever he was thinking as his face lightened up. "Of course I'll be here," he answered.

I shook my head at him. "You shouldn't come back to see me, not today or ever. We should end this. Everything that did or didn't happen, all of it." I explained.

"You should get some rest. We are not thinking clearly right now, so many things have already happened on the same day," he answered dismissively.

"My mind has never been clearer on this. We were a mistake. None of this should have happened or gone this far. We've been a disaster since the very beginning. There are far too many cues we can't ignore to know things will never work out. Let's just end this now and go our separate ways before we destroy each other further." I said.

"We'll figure things out together. Why are you so afraid of what hasn't even happened yet?" He asked.

"I lied to you. I should have never done that or played with your emotions. How will you ever trust me going forward? Don't you hate me for it?" I asked.

"I know now that's not who you are. I could never agree with your reasons but now I understand and I'm willing to fight for us." He answered.

I sighed. "I nearly died and all I could think about were all the things I never got the chance to do. I want to start my life over without all of this and there is no room for you in it anymore." I continued.

"Why are you doing this? I love you," he asked.

"If you loved me, you'd leave and never return," I answered.

"You can't ask me to do that," he whispered.

"Please leave," I answered.

I turned away from him and pulled the bed sheet over myself.

A minute almost slipped by before I heard him walk out of the room.

It might hurt now but this was best for everyone. It's better for everyone this way.

***

It must have been six a.m. when my mother came to visit.

"Your sister wanted to visit but couldn't skip any more school days," Mom announced.