chapter 1: A wamer Upside down

Something…strange was going on.

One second everyone’s in their own homes doing their own things. Dustin’s eating dinner with his mother, Lucas is chasing after his sister who took one of his toys, Will’s drawing and Mike’s sitting in the fort that had briefly been El’s home.

And the next? They’re in a strange place they’ve never seen before. Like an endless abyss painted in red. Thunderous, angry clouds in the sky, ashes floating about no matter where you look; like something out of a nightmare.

But it couldn’t be considered a nightmare, at least, not to Mike.

Because the first thing he saw, was El stood in front of him. Her hair had grown out a bit, and was incredibly curly. She was wearing a grey shirt with some overalls.

“El.” Mike breathed, almost unable to believe the sight in front of him but willing to accept it as reality if need be.

“Mike.” The moment his name left her lips, Mike was running and tackling her in a hug, tears flowing freely down his cheeks.

He couldn’t help it. A year. It had been a whole year since she’d disappeared.

“I-I never gave up…” He choked out. “I called- every night for-“

“351 days.” El mumbled in his arms. “I know…I heard.”

Mike’s eyes widened. He hesitantly pulled away from the hug to look at her with confusion. “W-Why didn’t- Why didn’t you reach out?”

El frowned. “It’s a long story…”

“Ahem.”

A throat cleared, startling the two badly. They were so wrapped up in reuniting they didn’t even focus on anything else.

Like the strange place they were in. Or the fact that Will, Dustin, Lucas, Nancy, Jonathan, Steve, Joyce and Hopper were standing there staring at them.

Or that there was an older woman with El’s face also stood nearby. And another girl they’d never seen before.

“What the hell is going on?” Steve questioned with wide eyes.

“I can explain.” The woman chimed in softly.

El stepped up towards her, eyebrows furrowed. “…Are you me?”

The woman smiled softly. “I am.”

“Holy shit.” Dustin breathed.

The girl their age scowled. “Where are we!? Who are you people!? What the hell is this!?”

“I’ll explain everything.” Jane started. “We’re in a place known as the Upside Down, it’s like…another world. Don’t worry, none of us are in danger.”

Lucas frowned. “Wait, we’re in the Upside Down?”

“It’s a lot warmer than before…” Will muttered.

“This is going to take a bit to explain, but…” Jane let out a deep breath. “I’m from the future.”

They all stared at her in pure silence.

“I think I just threw up in my mouth.” Dustin whispered.

“As many of you know already, the Upside Down is special. I was able to use my powers, along with the Upside Down’s influence, and essentially force you all in here.” Jane explained.

The red-head looked at her like she grew two heads. “I’m sorry what? Upside Down? Powers? What sort of fever dream am I having?”

“You’re Max Mayfield. In the future, you become my best friend.” Jane added. “That’s why I brought you here too.”