A New Idea

I sat in the front row of the hundreds of seats. Graduation day was big here, seeing as there were so many students. Kellin was next to me, hands clenched and lips unmoving in a fine line. We were both equally mad and confused that our summer vacations had been ruined. My dad had him called to his office and explained the details.

My hair had just gotten trimmed but still brushed my shoulders. My white button up was freshly pressed as well as my black slacks. My shoes were clean and my tie was perfect. Mike looked equally sharp, we both did on every graduation day. Mom took it upon herself to make sure we were nice and groomed, something for our parents' peers to nod at and approve of.

Kellin on the other hand, didn't seem to care that hundreds of people were about to stare at him as he gave a speech. His pants were a little too long and had been stepped on by his shoes over the course of the year, a little tear on the left ankle caught my attention. His black shoes had a little mud on them. His white shirt was untucked and he apparently gave up, seeing as he wasn't even wearing a fucking tie.

"Do you not care about today?" I ask in a harsh whisper. He glanced at me and fucking smirked, shrugging right after. He had some nerve. I roll my eyes at him. "The way I see it, Victor," he raised a brow and crossed his arms. Jesus, he was a drama queen. "I'm already the smartest, is it necessary that I be the best looking too?"

I scowl at him, feeling my blood boil. He chuckled at my expression and shrugged again. "I'll let you have that one. You'll be the good looking one and I'll be the smart one."

What was he inferring? I squint my eyes at him. He rolled his eyes and looked up at the speaker, as if he actually cared. It was apparent he didn't. I look at him for a second longer, then look forward too. You'll be the good looking one, I'll be the smart one. I think about what he said. We hated each other so he wouldn't be complimenting me, so why did he say that? He could've brushed me off.

Stop, I sit up straighter and bite the inside of my cheek, you're thinking too hard. I knew I had to be calm and relaxed when I went to make the speech so I kept my attention off Kellin, who tended to stress me out by just being there.

_______

After our speech, we had two more classes left in the day. I threw on my blazer and arm band and headed for the main building, seeing as I had Hall Duty again. I had waited for everyone else to leave so I wouldn't be caught up in the crowd, so I walked alone. The air was cool, a little cloudy.

I liked the weather, when it wasn't cold or hot. When the sky was that eerie gray color. When there was no sound, no trees rustling, cars passing, or birds chirping. You were just there and existing and so was the earth. It was rather fucking peaceful when I had this much on my mind.

I stuck my hands in my pockets. Something I did when I was thinking. I fiddled with the fabric of my pockets and pursed my lips.

What was I going to do this whole summer? Could Kellin and I really be friends? He might not even be that bad. Some people can be rude around others, but cool when there's less people. I wasn't necessarily sticking up for Kellin or trying to find reason to like him, I was more or less trying to be optimistic.

Being optimistic seemed easier right now, when I was completely alone, in silence, away from peers and my dad and Mike and Tony and the lacrosse team. Everyone was off doing their own things including me. My little smile faded quickly and turned into a frown when I heard a voice behind me.

Someone always has to ruin it.

And I knew that voice. I turned to see Kellin jogging up to my side, pacing himself with my steps. "Sup, Fuentes." He said, as if we were two old friends catching up after not seeing on another for a while. Apparently he forgot that we hated each other. I sent him a weird look, as if to ask: What the fuck are you doing?

He rolled his eyes. "We can be civil, you know? I know you don't hate me."

"You're right." I shrugged, looking at the pavement beneath us. I didn't really hate him, per say, just disliked him to a certain degree. "I know that," he said and then I rolled my eyes. "So what about this summer?"

I glance at him and furrow my eyebrows, wondering what he meant. I rethought what I said about people changing around peers. It occurred to me then that Kellin really could be one of those people. When we were in the auditorium, we talked normally. Well, there was a little sassing involved but that much was expected. But it was certainly different than how we were in the halls.

"What about it?" I asked, meeting his eyes for a second. Amusement played in them. I realized the colors in his irises, the bright blues and greens. I look away and push my hands further in my pockets. "I have an idea." He said, and my eyes rolled involuntarily. Oh, how I hated that phrase now.

It got us into this mess, I think. "And that is?"

"Let's like..." He shrugged, now putting his hands in his pockets. I looked at him to continue. "Let's stop this fighting all the time, Fuentes. We have a whole summer together. We'll be together most of the time and fighting the whole break from school wasn't on my agenda." He says, even adding in a little smile at the end.

"So.." I say, tilting my head.

"So, friends." We stop and he offers me his hand. I look at it, then at him. Friends with Kellin? Kellin Quinn wanted to be my friend? It had to be a setup. We'd fought and argued for the longest time, so even thinking about it felt weird. Or at least, we acted like we hated each other. Did I really hate him?

_______

hey, my loves!
important news: my last day of tenth grade was yesterday so I can update way more often now. sorry this took so long