Fishbird (2)

Summary: Error Queen yearns for freedom, for his home, and along the way, unexpectedly, also for a human.

Category: M/M

Relationship(s): Nightmare/Error

Additional Tags: Slow Build, Interspecies Romance, POV Alternating, Merman Error, Human Corrupted Nightmare, Possessive Behaivior, Referenced/Implied Drug Abuse

-

The boy gave a long, careful look at the limitless expanse of water and tried to think of how he could make it his-how could he prevent anyone else from stealing it?

Because he knew, deep in his heart, that there were more people out there falling in love with it.

How could they not when the ocean was so beautiful and magnificent?

"I want to take it with me," the boy said, sharing his wish with his mother, who laughed kindly at his innocence.

"You can't take it with you. The sea is too vast. You can't trap it, and even if you could, it'd die in captivity," she said wisely.

The idea of the ocean dying was awful, but the idea that he could never possess it was downright unbearable.

-

The second time the man comes, Error doesn't know how to act. He's curious but still self-conscious.

It's surprising, disappointing, and relieving all at once when the man sits on the stairs on the caretaker's side of the tank. Unlike the first time, he doesn't spare a glance at Error. Instead, he remains focused on a small notebook he carries.

As the man starts writing in it, Error swims closer to the glass, driven by curiosity and dissatisfaction at being ignored.

"Hello," the man greets amicably, meeting his eyes.

Error jolts, surprised when he notices how close to the glass he got. Acutely aware that his nose would be touching the man's if the tank wasn't separating them. He pulls back hastily to put more distance between them.

Amused at his reaction, the man asks, "Do you want to see what I'm writing?"

It's not that Error particularly wants to see it. Yes, he's interested in it, but the reason he got close was to see what took all of the man's attention, when before it was Error.

Not waiting for his reply, the man shows his work. The notebook is filled with lines and curves that Error can't read. But the elegant, clean way they're drawn lets Error know that the man has beautiful calligraphy.

"I don't think you can read it," The man mutters to himself after seeing his confused expression. "Can you... understand me?" he asks.

Error opens his mouth, closes it, and, after a careful pause, nods.

"Good," the man smiles, pleased and overjoyed. "Then I can introduce myself. I'm Nightmare Joku."

Error blinks owlishly, taking the name in. He mouths the syllables, testing how they roll silently off his tongue.

"Can I get your name?" Nightmare Joku patiently asks.

Despite the glass and the water interfering between them, Nightmare Joku's voice is clear and slides softly like velvet. He sounds polite, even humble, almost as if he's asking for a favor.

Error's father had warned him never to exchange words with humans; they were untrustworthy, treacherous, and sly when talking. He said riddles were easier to decipher than the intention behind a human's words.

Maybe it's because Error hasn't heard his own voice for so long; maybe it's because he's lonely; or maybe it's because when Nightmare Joku smiles at him, it feels good. Perhaps it's all those reasons and more, but ultimately, Nightmare's gentle and patient eyes push his name out of his mouth.

"Error" he introduces himself.

Nightmare Joku's expression brightens as he repeats, "Error."

It's not a question, but Error still nods.

"What a relief." Nightmare smiles. "For a moment, I thought you'd be mute and we'd be reenacting The Little Mermaid."

"Little Mermaid?" Error cocks his head.

"It's a human fairytale," Nightmare explains, and at Error's evident cluelessness, he elaborates: "A mermaid falls in love with a human prince, but she can't speak and profess her love for him because a witch had taken her voice in exchange for legs," Nightmare explains. Error doesn't notice himself moving closer again until his fingertips are touching the glass. His tail flows calmly behind him as he listens, curious and attentive.

"She's able to walk and be with her beloved, but she can't say anything," Nightmare continues. "It's frustrating for her, especially when the witch tries to steal her prince."

"That's awful." Error frowns.

"It is. And sadly, that's not the worst part."

"It's not?"

"No," Nightmare answers as he rests his chin on his fist, leaning closer to the glass. "If the Little Mermaid can't make the prince fall in love with her, she'll turn to sea foam."

"That's horrible!" Error exclaims. His question of 'Why would she go that far for a human?' begins to take shape in his tongue. He catches himself before he can say it out loud, not wanting to offend the human on the other side of the tank.

At his pause, Nightmare smiles knowingly. "Has someone ever told you how honest you are with your expressions?"

Error pouts and turns his head to the side. Nightmare cocks his head, amused.

"Does she die?" Error asks after a moment, peeking at Nightmare from the corner of his eye.

"Are you asking if she dies because of a human?" Nightmare rephrases "There are two versions of it, and you look like someone who would want me to answer with the least tragic one."

"But would that be the truth?"

"Does it matter?"

Error frowns. "Of course it matters."

Maybe Error is reading too much about it, but humans having a fairy tale where one of his kind was subjected to such torture and a possibly more tragic end doesn't settle well with him. Especially because, fictional or not, she does fall in love with one of their kind. The kind that has Error locked in a tank away from home and uses him as entertainment.

"She was suffering," Error mutters, downcast.

Nightmare places his hand against the glass. Error looks over to find it mirroring his own, almost as if they're touching.

"She was, but she did it because she was in love. And Error..." Nightmare's eyes are gentle before he says, "No matter what kind you are, if you have a heart, you're bound to do crazy things for love."

------
.
.
.
.
.

End of Part II~