Dreamer

The demon lumbered and staggered in its movements now. The dodges were less graceful and used more effort but they were still there. The spear made a great sheild, and most of the dodges were because it deflected the hit.

The demon began to become enraged at its own weakness and I could begin to feel the powerful energy building. To me it was uncontrolable but to the demon it was a controlled energy. The air began to crackle with energy and even the assassin began to feel the animosity behind it.

After a few more failed attacks the man backed away to a safe distance and began to consider us. The energy was almost unbearable to hold now, even outside from my feelings I could sense that it would tear my body apart soon.

I think it was then that the man realized the iminence of his death. He began another fruitless charge, which, was aiming for my heart I realized. The orb of power that was collecting, that's where it seemed to be coming from also.

Blood started to pour from cuts that had started opening up on my arms. It was too much for my body to handle.

And then the pressure was gone. It felt like I was trying to push something heavy and it just left. The moment was extraordinary. Like before my body arched in bliss and my ankles looked while my arms outstretched. The difference was this time, my hair flew wildly around making my face seem like the moon in the middle of an angry storm of midnight.

Circular shields of blue energy pulsated from my heart. With each beat the shield grew bigger. The room began to cave in on itself. The assassin was stuck in a corner, clawing with bloody nails to escape.

With each pulse the circle crawled towards him, disintegrating everything it touched. After what seemed like seconds his shrieks filled the air as it at last touched him. Blood coated the outside of the orb where it was crushed him into the wall. Each pulse sending up another sloppy spatter of blood. His screams more violent than before. At last it stopped.

The shield broke then and fell like glass back to the earth. My body was tired and dropped to the floor in a heap. The demon was still in a rage and was desperate to hold on to my body. The staff disolved from my hand into the earth and I layed on the broken and cracked floor. Unable to move.

I could hear the sirens now. Loud wailing things so much unlike me except in their name. Bleeding out like this and still with the demon grappling for control, I would die if no one found me. I assumed that no one would. From what I saw back in the other room everyone was deathly afraid to come in here.

And so I sang. I could tell from the room that my voice would sound eary and hollow but that it would still come out beautifully. The song my mother had asked me about in my dreams. That was the one I sang now.

It wasn't till the last verse that I noticed the demon had receeded from its fight. A sigh of releif escaped me and I began to focus my tired body to healing itself.

Hours seemed to creep by. Bleeding cuts turned to scars and then turned to barely visible white lines stretched taught against the old skin.

It was only then that I stopped hearing the screams of the people outside the room. The panic seemed to move to somewhere deeper on in the building. At last a sliver of light streaked across the room as the door to the outside was opened.

Kiran's head was just barely visible, peeking around the door into the chamber.