Lost

WC: 3,347

WC: 3,347

September 2008

"Bella Willow Matthews," the teacher called out.

The brunette 5-year-old holding her mother's hand tightly, dragged her mom closer to the teacher.

The kindergarten teacher crouched down and smiled at her, "Hi there Bella. Ready to start kindergarten?"

Bella looked from the teacher to her mom, then back again, and shook her head no.

"Go on Bella Willow. I have to get to my own classroom. I'm just down the hall, you'll be ok." Her mother made Bella let go of her hand. "Make some new friends and have fun ok? I love you, sweetheart."

Bella shakily walked into the classroom fully and took her assigned seat.

In the seat next to her was a small blond-haired boy, who was busy building- well something- out of the popsicle sticks that were in the container on the center of the desks.

She looked down at her own desk and saw that there was a sticker with her name on it. She looked at the boy's desk and saw that his name was JJ.

"Um hi JJ," Bella smiled at him. 

The blonde-haired boy didn't even look up at her nor take his attention away from his creation, "Hi."

She anxiously asked, "What are you making?"

"Dunno."

"Can I help?"

This made the boy turn his attention away from the project and look at her. He looked at her for a few seconds, "What's your name?"

"Bella. But my mom calls me Bella Willow."

JJ made a face like a light bulb went off in his brain, "I'll call you BW! Kinda like how my name is? Sounds cool huh?"

Bella smiled and nodded.

He handed her a popsicle stick and slid his creation over to her, each taking turns adding to the project and turning it into... well something, together.

☀️

September 2011

Bella laughed as JJ pushed her on the swing set at recess. He was trying to get her as high as he could without her falling off.

A shorter brown-haired boy ran over to them, "Can I try too?"

JJ regarded the kid for a second, and called out, "Hey BW! Should we?"

She laughed as she swung down and made herself come to a stop, she looked at the kid for a moment as well, "What's your name?"

"John B," the kid answered, looking between the two.