Chapter twenty-two

Start from the beginning

If he's here right now then he must be-

"I'm your homework teacher, Shota Aizawa. Pleased to meet you," the man introduced himself, his voice much gruffer than the seemingly kind pleasantries that he just gave.

Yup, that sounds about right.

Looking around, everyone else seemed to be in a bit of mute shock at the man being our homeroom teacher, but really why else would he be here right now if he wasn't?

"Now," the man, Mr. Aizawa, decided, "Everyone change into your training uniforms and head outside to the grounds." He pulled one of the uniforms out from God only knows where and left the room to point us towards the locker rooms. "Oh yeah," the man announced, stopping just outside of the room as everyone grabbed their things, "we'll be doing a quirk test. Whoever gets last place will be deemed as having no potential and be expelled."

That's just... Great...

—-

Izuku POV

The sound of the door bell ringing caught my attention, as the noise was loud enough to cut through the music that I had been playing in my room to keep my attention while doing my math lesson. I really like math, but with no physical teacher to actually show me how to do the pre-calculus problems, it was a lot easier to hold myself accountable for actually doing it when it wasn't completely silent in my room.

Jumping to my feet and setting the laptop that I'd made over the summer down somewhere where there was little chance of it accidentally being destroyed, or destroying anything else, I went and answered the door, and was only slightly surprised to find purple eyes staring back at me.

"Hello, Hitoshi. How was school today?" I asked, stepping aside to let the taller boy in.

The other teen only flipped me off as he drug himself into the living room, clearly unimpressed with my attempt to sound like his mother. I didn't know if the other boy was just exhausted or if the tired gleam in his eyes was just his normal bouts of teenage angst that we both seemed to share, but it was enough for me to close the door and grab the Tupperware container of cookies that Mom stashed away in the back of cabinet thinking that neither Hito nor I would find it.

Wishful thinking.

The other boy nibbled disinterestedly at the cookie that I shoved into his hand as I sat down next to him on the couch, plopping my feet into the other teen's lap. "So what's the deal?"

"School kinda sucked," Hitoshi answered, putting the cookie aside where he didn't have to deal with it. "Our teacher is a total psycho," the boy said, putting a finger up as if he was creating a list.

"What did he do to be called a psycho by the likes of us?"

The other boy shot me a dark look as I said 'the like of us' but it's not like he could really defend himself so he didn't bother. "Quirk test," he answered simply. "Whoever came in last place was supposed to be expelled."

My brow quirked up on its own at the other boy's phrasing. "'Supposed to be'?"

The taller boy only rolled his eyes. "He said that it was only a 'logical ruse'," Hitoshi answered, taking care to find the entertainment to put air quotes while still barely moving.

Logical ruse...

My shoulders started to move in the barest of silent laughs, but it was enough to catch the other boy's attention. "What?" He asked, his voice laden with a jolt of surprise at my actions. It wasn't often that I expressed emotion like this.

"Bullshit," I called. "Whoever came in last just managed to impress the vindictive teacher enough for them to want to keep the student." I looked at the other boy and watched as his eyes widened the barest bit with shock. "Ah, so that was you I suppose. Congratulations then."

Hitoshi just groaned and threw his head back onto the couch. "Why do I put up with you?"

I just shrugged at the other teen. "Cause we're both too fucked up for most other people to understand," I gussed.

"That we are," he agreed, shoving the rest of his forgotten cookie into his mouth. "Honestly I wouldn't even mind the teacher, it's just that all of the tasks were physical ones and now I'm wiped both physically and mentally."

"Emotionally?" I asked, propping my head up a bit to get a better look at the quirked teen.

The other boy glanced at me as if considering whether or not to tell me something, but conceded after I motioned for him to get on with it. "The blond idiot that you were talking to outside of the entrance exam," the taller teen started, turning towards me as he spoke, "he's in my class and he's already being an asshole."

A cold feeling washed over my body at the other boy's words.

"Bakugo," the name slipped out of my lips in a harsh whisper, but the other teen still seemed to be able to understand it.

"Yeah," he agreed, "him."

I could tell that lilac eyes were studying me as we both spoke, looking for the chinks in my armor that told the other boy that I was falling apart. The rational part of my brain knows that he wouldn't hold against me if he were to find it, but it was much easier to just repair the damage before he saw too much.

"Sorry that you have to deal with him," I apologized.

Really, I was.

Now that Bakugo knows that Hitoshi and I are friends, the other boy is going to make Hito's life ifantly harsher than it truly needs to be. I know his cruelty first hand, there is nothing beautiful to the way that he breaks you and no amount of duct tape and glue can ever really fix the damage left behind. My only hope is that since the blond is now in UA, he'll dial it back even if it's for fear of getting caught.

But the other teen only shrugged. "Everyone has their asshole that they have to deal with, you and I just happen to share one. But don't think that he's off to hook either..."

He told me about another boy in the class that was yelling at Bakugo when Hito walked in and about how their teacher ended up restraining the other teen. It sounded like the other teen would be in good hands, but that didn't ease the guilt that lingered everytime that the purple haired boy spoke the blond's name.