Chapter 6

Kate had been diligently working with her therapist to regain her memories, and slowly but surely, they were coming back. She remembered meeting NbaYoungBoy, her sold-out show, and even the gunshots that had left her in a coma. But there were still gaps, moments that she couldn't recall, and it frustrated her.

One afternoon, Kate was sitting in her apartment watching TV when her phone rang. It was Kentrell, and her heart skipped a beat at the sight of his name on the screen.

"Hey," she answered, trying to keep her voice steady.

"Hey, Kate," he said, and she could hear the smile in his voice. "I know we haven't talked much since everything happened, but I was wondering if you wanted to come over and hang out today. My mom and Teelee are in town, and I wanted you to meet them."

Kate felt a flutter of nervousness in her stomach. Meeting Kentrell's family felt like a big step, especially since they had only been seeing each other for a few weeks before the shooting.

But at the same time, she was curious about the people who had raised the man she was falling for. "Sure," she said. "Let me get dressed, and I'll be over in a bit."

She took her time getting ready, wanting to make a good impression on Kentrell's family. When she arrived at his apartment, he met her at the door with a warm smile and pulled her into a hug.

"You look beautiful," he said, and Kate felt a blush creep up her cheeks.

Inside, Kentrell's mother Sheronda and older sister Teelee were sitting on the couch, chatting and laughing. They both greeted Kate warmly, and she immediately felt at ease around them.

They spent the afternoon talking, eating pizza and watching TV. Kate felt a sense of warmth and belonging with Kentrell's family, and it made her heart swell with emotion.

As the evening wore on, Sheronda excused herself to go to bed, leaving Teelee and the couple alone. Kentrell took Kate's hand and pulled her onto his lap, looking into her eyes with a serious expression.

"Kate, I know we haven't been together for very long, but I really care about you," he said. "I want to make this official. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Kate's heart leaped with joy at his words. She had been falling for him, too, and the idea of being his girlfriend filled her with happiness.

"Yes," she said, beaming. "I'd love that."

Kentrell wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in for a kiss, and Kate felt like her heart might burst with love.

As they broke apart, Teelee let out a teasing whistle, and they both laughed.

"I'm happy for you two," she said, grinning. "Welcome to the family, Kate."

Kate beamed, feeling grateful for the love and support around her. For the first time since the shooting, she felt like things were going to be okay.