O1.   Suspicions

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE. SUSPICIONS
Roadkill ✺. February 17, 2021 — 09:56 PM
ᴛᴡ: sᴛʀᴏɴɢ ʟᴀɴɢᴜᴀɢᴇ, ᴍᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴs ғ ɪɴᴊᴜʀɪᴇs )

     Provoked from his perturbed snooze, the first thing he could perceive is the steady, rhythmic beeping of what he can easily recognize as heart monitors. It's like a subtle pulsing in his enhancers at first, ebbing and flowing through the void of his subconscious, until its muffled beating crescendos into a crisp, shrieking noise that feels entirely too loud and too close compared to the endless silence that plagued him for what feels like an infinite amount of time. His figure felt weighed down, as if made of solid iron, making it a struggle to pry his flittering eyelids open but he managed to. A harsh luminescence beamed directly onto his visage, spawning a reaction for him to wince in discomfort as it seared his retinas. Though the lighting was harsh and unforgiving when it pierces his optics, it illuminates the room with a dreary incandescence.

     A few blinks allow him to adjust briefly before a wave of color begins to seep into his vision

     A few blinks allow him to adjust briefly before a wave of color begins to seep into his vision. From the grey walls boxing him into this quaint little room, to the triangular pattern adorning the hospital gown nearly melted into his frame, the cream toned blanket cocooned around him a vivid contrast to the navy cushions of the gurney. Everything looked so sterile 𖬺 devoid of life. Hilton instinctively turned his head to the side of the hollowfibre pillow his head rests on, seeking refuge from the vigorous glare. Fluttering incessantly, his hooded umber irises gradually adjusted to the light that enveloped the rest of the sullen chamber.

     From his peripherals, Hilton perceived a masculine figure nodding and peeking out of the doorway to the room, gesturing something he can't quite make out, and the ensemble slowly filters back toward him with another individual trotting directly behind them, the platforms of heels clacking against luxury vinyl flooring. A pair of figures now stood adjacent to one another, engaged in murmured, confidential dialogue over his limp body. Once Hilton realized he had no indication of who these individuals were, his throat tightened.