Chapter 29

I arrived at the emergency vet clinic finally. I grabbed jack and ran him inside. They saw me and came running out with a doggie stretcher thing. I placed him on and they rushed him back. "Can I come back?" I asked. "Yes.. But wait a few minutes." I agreed and sat down. 25 minutes later they called my name and I headed back. He was hooked up to a lot of machines and medical stuff. "Is he going to be okay?" I dared to ask. They frowned and shook their heads. "We don't know." "What's wrong with him?" They looked confused. "Not sure. We have taken some blood and are thinking possibly a blood clot, or even cancer." I broke down right there and started ballon my eyes out. "Are you okay?" They asked. "No. I'm not. My boyfriend/husband has cancer and is dying. My two babies are dying. My best friend is dying. I can't handle anymore right now! I've lost my family, my friends, everything that's important to me. You don't understand how much Jack means to me. I can't do it." They looked at me with pitty. "Ma'am we are doing everything we can... I just-" I cut them off. "Just don't know if he's gonna make it. I get it. I've heard it three times now." I said to them. I looked at Jack. I placed my hand on him. "I love you boy... I hope you know that." I began crying on him. "You can let go... Please just do it quick" I cried on him for a few more minutes. I got up kissed him and turned around. "Please try everything... Don't give up on my boy." I looked at them with pleading eyes. Then I walked out. I ran home and fell asleep hoping tomorrow would become a better day. I woke up the next morning and let Maggie out. I walked downstairs to the girls. "Hey Jordan?" "Hey girl what's up?" "I have a lot going on... I need you to keep Maggie and the kids a little bit longer. Is that okay?" "Of course! We love them" she said smiling. Whew. "What about Jack?" I frowned and tried smiling hiding my tears. "He's um.. Sick." She nodded and I went upstairs. I got dressed and headed out to go pick Ethan up. When I got there they checked me in and the nurses were getting him into the wheel chair. He looked a little better. "Hey babe" he said smiling. "Hi!" I chirped. I ran over and kissed him. He chuckled in my mouth. "I love you" I said pulling away. "I love you more" he said back. The nurse went over a lot of stuff and she sent us on our way. We got home and I unloaded him from the car and into the wheel chair. I set him on the couch and brought him some water. "Come here babe" he told me. I walked over to him and he pulled me down kissing my jaw line. "Ethan.." I began saying pushing as his chest. He grabbed my wrists and held them with one hand making sure I couldn't get out of his grasp. He brought my legs over to straddle him. Still kissing me. "Ethan baby... Your not supposed to do any of this... You need to be carful." It took me so much to be able to say that. He's turning me on so bad, but I can't do it. He knows that. It's gonna hurt him. Eventually he gave up and we cuddled on the couch. Then we fell asleep for a long time. I woke up to my phone ringing. I hopped out of Ethan's spoon and jumped down to grab my phone. "Hello?" I asked. "Hi is this Jennifer?" "Yes" "hi we are here with your dog Jack... I'm afraid he's not doing to well. He made it through the surgery but I'm not sure if there's gonna be any chance of him getting better." My heart dropped. No. Part of me believed he was going to be okay. I didn't actually think something was going to go wrong. "what's going to happen..?" I dared to ask. The lady sighed over the phone. "Unfortunately nothing. He's going to either pass away from suffering or we are going to have to-" I cut them off from saying put him to sleep. "Please don't say it." I said shivering. I didn't realize it but I was sobbing over the phone. "I know you don't want that to happen but if you look at him you'll realize that's what he needs." "When?" I asked. "Today." "Let me um call you back." The agreed and I hung up. Ethan woke up. "What's going on?" He asked. "Jack... He's... Hes.. Dying." He frowned and comforted me in his arms as I was crying. "I can't loose anyone else. Please make it stop." "I know baby, I know." He said. 10 minutes later I got the courage and called her back. "I'll be there in 20 minutes." I told her. We arrived there and even brought Maggie to come say goodbye. We all headed back to his room and he was laying on the table and just looked so sad. I turned around and grabbed Ethan to try and calm me down. "I'll give you guys a minute to say goodbye." I ran over and grabbed onto him sobbing all over him. "Your the best dog anyone could ask for... I love you boy!" I said crying my eyes out. Ethan walked over and began rubbing his head. "It's gonna be okay boy." He started sniffling a little and I saw tears roll down his eyes. "You'll always be with us." Maggie ran over and put her front feet on the table in a standing position. She began licking him trying to help him. Then the vet walked in with the equipment. She's hooked him up to all of it and began putting the liquid into it. "this only takes a minute and doesn't hurt." Slowly his eyes began to shut and he became limp. And just like that. He was gone. I turned around and walked out. Thinking of a life without him. I couldn't bare it. He was my first baby, my best friend, my first pet, my everything. I slowly and calmly walked to the car as it was poring down rain. Why him? I asked myself. What did he do to deserve this? Then Ethan came walking out with him covered in a blanket and Maggie following him. He popped the truck and laid him down. Then he came up to the front and started the car. He looked over at me with pitiful eyes. He placed his hand on my thigh. "It's gonna be okay baby." He tried to reassure me. We drove home and that evening Ethan dug and a hole and buried Jack. It was so depressing, but all we could do was move on.