12: Morsmordre

19 October: Gryffindor Tower

Ginny was walking along the corridors, worried. She heard the rumour about Katie, and now the whole Gryffindor team is freaking out. They are worried about their friend, yes, but the first house match is in a week, and they lost their chaser.

Ginny was searching for Harry, hoping the captain would assure the team that it was going to be okay. But when she found him, it looked like he needed some assurance himself.

Harry was sitting on top of the Gryffindor tower. He never really comes here, but today he had nowhere to go. He wanted to be alone. He was staring into the distance, so deep in thought that he hadn't heard Ginny sit beside him.

"Are you okay?" She whispered.

Harry shook his head.

"Ron told me-"

"I don't want to talk about it." Harry snapped.

"Sorry, sorry." She quickly apologised and added, "Don't talk, just listen."

Harry groaned and covered his ears, though he was listening.

"I am not saying Malfoy is innocent. But if you have doubts, confront him. Stop picking fights with Jo and ruin your relationship."

"We didn't fight because of him. Well, it started with him, but-" he stopped, contemplating whether to tell her or not.

"It's okay." Ginny placed her hand on his and gave it a gentle squeeze. "If you don't want to tell me, it's fine."

Harry's cheeks turned red as he looked down at their hands. After a long silence, he spoke, "Jo was—she helped Voldemort willingly. She murdered innocent people for him. And then she changed sides."

"Why?" Ginny asked, surprisingly calm after learning this.

"Voldemort betrayed her.. She lost her memories.. Dumbledore tricked her to the good side." Harry shrugged. 

"And you are afraid she will go back to him?"

"No, of course not." Harry immediately denied, "I know she won't."

"Then what is the problem?"

"It's—wait, why are you not shocked to know this? Did you not hear me? She murdered innocent people."

"I heard you... I figured, Goddess of Death doesn't bring flowers and life.. There must be some price for it."

"So, you knew?" Harry's eyes widened.

"No. But I expected it... you know I am not as innocent as you think, I snoop around, I listen." Ginny shrugged.

"Wow." Harry was clearly surprised; why didn't he think of this?

"But we are no one to judge her; I did pretty bad things in my first year under his influence." Ginny spoke quietly.

"You didn't know what you were doing."