Chapter Seven: Moving Forward

   Travis stared at her as if she had just sprouted a pair of horns. What did she just say? A sham? Was she here under false pretenses?

     Aww hell!

Sophia was feeling awful at that moment both physically and emotionally. The pain in her lower abdomen began its relentless pursuit and her spirits were bleak. It took her several moments to regain her composure enough to speak. The smell of bacon made its way upstairs and her stomach growled.

     Oh, that smells so good. But I have more important things to deal with than my own appetite. What could I possibly say to Travis at this point? I've done the damage. Now I need to do something about it, and he deserves an explanation, regardless of how I've been treated.

She looked over at him and drew in a tremulous breath. The room was so stifling hot that even normal breathing became hard. That combined with her now stuffy nose. Damn tears!

     "I've not been completely honest with you."

     "How so exactly?"

His deep voice with that southern drawl was... a bit intoxicating. She honesty had never heard such a nice male voice like his. And he was talking to her. He was there. That had to mean something.

She briefly closed her eyes needing a few more precious seconds before she came clean with the truth.

     If I had only been honest with him from the start. This is really my own fault. What was I thinking? That I would magically learn how to be a wife, mother, and caretaker of a home? I'm so stupid! Hells fire, now I am going to ruin everything!

     "Dammit woman, I don't have all day! Out with it already!"

Sophia flinched; his demeanor wasn't helping. She was truly a bit frightened but forced herself to speak.

     "When I saw your advertisement I felt as if it were a sign that I reply. I- I... you see...well, I wasn't exactly honest with you when I said I was qualified. I was trying to escape a situation that happened in my life recently and it seemed like a good idea at the time. A way out you see. Just that morning I had prayed for a sign... then moments later I discovered your advertisement. I thought that it was the answer to my prayers. I figured that I could easily learn how to do all these things when I got here, if I even heard back from you. I honestly didn't think I would. When you replied saying you chose me, and sent the funds for my trip, I had become even more convinced that this was meant to be. I was naive in thinking that I could just figure it all out once I got here. I was wrong. I have no idea what I am doing. I never should have married you knowing it was based on deception. I lied to you Travis, and I am sorry for what I —"