Open Sores Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Witness to an action...

School passed by and Gavin occasionally seen Alyssa. It seemed like today she was sort of hiding and Gavin knew that something must have happened but didn't know what. Alyssa came up to Gavin only sometimes, she didn't want him to start to get suspicious about why she was acting so weird after one of the most best days that she's had in awhile. Alyssa tried to shield the pain she was feeling but she just couldn't. She felt like when she talked to Gavin that day, that he saw right through her, he saw what was really there and no doubt he would want to know what was wrong. For practically the whole day Alyssa avoided him, but not too much. The bell rang and Alyssa had her last class with Gavin. She walked off, almost running, out of school. Alyssa wanted to go home and get away to give her some time to think, not that there was much to think about, but at the same time she wanted to be with Gavin.

It was around nine o'clock and Alyssa sat at her desk doing her honors homework. She didn't like homework much, she couldn't imagine who actually did, it was just annoying. She put her pencil down and was about to shove her earphones in her ears when she heard a knock on the door followed by the doorbell. Alyssa walked down stairs wondering who it could be. Just as she took her last step she wondered why she didn't just look out the window first. She could clearly see anyone who would be at her front door through her window. She opened the door and seen a guy with black shaggy hair turned around. The guy turned around and she seen that it was Gavin. What was Gavin doing here?

"Um, hey?" Alyssa greeted.

"Hey," Gavin smiled. "Can I come in?"

"Sure...I guess." Alyssa stepped aside and let Gavin in. "I was kinda doing something in my room so follow me." Alyssa said turning around and stepping back upstairs. Gavin followed her glad she wasn't interogating him about why he was there. He plainly wanted to see her, and maybe find out a little more.

They both walked into Alyssa's room and Alyssa took her papers off her desk and placed them on her bed. She jumped on the bed and crossed her legs to hold her books. She looked up and motinoed for Gavin to sit anywhere. She kind of hoped he would come sit next to her. It almost seemed like Gavin was reading Alyssa's mind, he walked over to her and sat next to her. Gavin was a couple inches taller than Alyssa so when he sat down it felt like he was hovering over her. "What are you doing?" He asked looking over her shoulder. "OUR homework." Alyssa said emphasizing our. "Let me guess, you didn't do it." "Not at all," Gavin smiled. "But I will." "Uh-huh." The room got silent but it wasn't that awkward silent, it was sort of calm. "So what's up?" Alyssa said looking down at her lined paper. "Just thought we could hang out again. I had fun yesterday." Gavin said getting up and walking around Alyssa's room. "This is a very interesting look for your room, " He commented. "Thanks...I guess. I had it custom made."

Alyssa's room was wide and square. Her walls we different shades of all the colors of the rainbow. The main color was black, it was used as a backround. There were lines of different colors all over the wall. Blue, red, yellow, and purple were the semi-main colors. It all went in patterns, line after line after line. There were four walls, Two striped horizontally and two striped vertically. It all seemed to mesh together in a neat way. Multi-colored handprints were covering the wall also and the stripes were used as a backround just like the black. Some of the other stuff looked like she drew it on there herself. "Whose handprints are these?" Gavin ask touching his hand to the wall. "Mine," Alyssa laughed. Alyssa walked over to Gavin and put her right hand on the  hand next on the right of his, her hand fit perfectly. Gavin took Alyssas' hand and his eyes grew wide. "What?" Alyssa smiled. Gavin stretched out his long fingers and placed on Alyssa's. This clearly showed that his fingers were way longer than hers. His eyes were still wide and her slowly opened his mouth. "What?" Alyssa laughed a bit confused. "Me tarzan, you Jane." He said taking his other hand and pointing one long finger towards her. Alyssa laughed, she loved that movie. "That's nice. But there's one problem. You don't wear an old diaper that you had since you were a kid and you wasn't born in the jungle." She laughed. "You don't know that." Gavin smiled. "Oh I know more than you think." Alyssa said turning around and walking towards her bed. Gavin's long arms wrapped around her small waist and pulled her close to him. "Oh do you?" He whispered softly in her ear. Alyssa's face was turned sideways slightly as she listened to Gavin's voice. The both of them leaned into eachother, their lips almost meeting.

A door slammed shut and the sound of an angry man stomped across the floor. A bunch of glasses were shattered against walls and the marble tile. Mr. Cameron grunted as he checked around for anyone. He was furious and he didn't know why but he could careless. He just wanted all of his fury out of his body. His mind instantly thought of Alyssa. She was the perfect target, so weak and scrawny, she would never fight back. Just thinking about it made Mr. Cameron a bit upset, she would never fight back. Everyday he enjoyed wooping the living daylights out of her and made it seem like he didn't give a flying fadoodle about it. Truth was he did feel bad about it, but he only wished she was never born. He would have been better off, him and his wife. He knew that Mrs. Cameron wished the same thing but didn't really know what her reasons were. 

Gavin walked towards the door wondering what that noise was. He was standing there confused and seen that Alyssa looked scared. Gavin was kind of scared himself but didn't know why she wasn't panicking, he just sorta assumed she would do that much. Alyssa looked at Gavin and wondered what she should do. She needed to do something and needed to do it fast. She wasn't suppose to  have anyone with her, especially if it was Gavin. Right when she heard the door slam she knew it was her father. The shattering glasses only made Alyssa certain that it was him. Alyssa heard angry footsteps slowly stomp up the stairs and knew she only had about thirty seconds to hide Gavin. "You're not suppose to be here, you have to hide!" Alyssa exclaimed softly. Gavin looked confused but was interupted by Alyssa's pushing. She quickly pushed him into her closet, "Wait here! Be quiet, don't make a move no matter what happens!" Alyssa shoved the door shut and plopped herself onto her bed. She put her papers on her lap to make her appear busy. Her door burst open and Alyssa's heart stopped.

"Who's here?" Her father demanded. "No-No one." Alyssa's voice came out a bit hoarse and she knew her father could tell that she was frightened. The smell of Vodka filled her nose, she wished that her parents would just stop drinking, maybe they'd make smarter decisions.  "Don't lie to me," Mr. Cameron spat. "There's no one here." She said after clearing her throat. Mr. Cameron was a little shocked. Alyssa barely said two words to him when he spoke to her and when she did, it was barely even a whisper. He was quite pleased. Mr. Cameron thought for a minute, deciding if he wanted to inflict some physical pain upon his only daughter. This time Mr. Cameron felt like using something more powerful than his leather belt. He looked at the side of Alyssa's bed and spotted a metal hanger on the ground. He walked over to it slowly and then picked it up. He gave Alyssa a menacing glare and she knew exactly what was bound to happen, what was about to happen in a few seconds. She stood up freezing in her spot. It was bad enough that she was going to get hit with something metal, but Gavin had to be hiding in her closet about to be a witness.

Gavin peeks through the blinds of the closet door wondering what the heck was going on out there. Why was her father carrying a metal hanger? Why did Alyssa look like she was about to burst into tears? He watched as Mr. Cameron lifted his arm up in the air with the hanger gripped tightly around his hand. Mr. Cameron whacked Alyssa across the back and Alyssa fell to the ground. Her nails dug into the tile but didn't make a dent. Her nails scratched against the marble as her dad whacked her again. The metal felt cold and rusty and it sent a greater pain dashing through her nerves. Tears slowly fell from Alyssa's eyes as she hung her head down, her hair flipped over the sides of her face. She didn't make a sound as she cried, she held in all her screams just because Gavin was watching. Gavin grew angry inside. He placed his hand on the door ready to put a stop to Alyssa's pain, but thought against it. He didn't want to do anything that would provoke her father to hit her more when he was forceably kicked out of the house. Gavin stood there watching every hit and every tear fall onto the ground. His heart sunk while he stood there watching it and his blood boiled. A few moments later the sound of the whipping noises stopped. Mr. Cameron, satisfied, left the room smiling. He knew for a fact that there was someone there with Alyssa, or was. Either way he didn't care. He walked down the stairs and left. It was late at night and he wanted to give Alyssa some time to mourn over her pain.

As soon as Gavin heard Mr. Cameron leave the house, he left the closet. Alyssa didn't move, her fist was still clenched tightly and she closed her eyes letting her tears fall to the ground. She felt a hand wrap around her and bring her to her bed. The room was dark and she kept her head to prevent Gavin from seeing her face. Gavin didn't want to see her face because of the pain that would surely be displayed on it. Gavin knew he didn't need to say a word, nor did he want to. There wasn't a word in the world that could make this better. He held Alyssa close to him, he didn't know what to do, but he wasn't going to leave her side.