Chapter Eight - Milk is Milk, except Buttermilk

I couldn’t stop grinning as I hopped into Kyle’s car, unable to take my mind off Ryan being jealous of Kyle. I knew he wouldn’t admit it, but it was so obvious! His face was just so comical, and unbelievably beautiful at the same time. The corners of my lips suddenly sunk, realizing that I was away from Ryan now. How long would it take him to get back? I was getting way too attached – he needed to live his own life. I wondered what would happen when I started school again. That meant less time spent with Ryan, and I was too much of a chicken to start skipping school. Ryan seemed to be a little responsible, so I’m sure he wouldn’t be impressed if I started missing out on my education just because of him. Sinead would murder me if she found out, anyways.

‘I really can’t believe you’re still a virgin,’ Kyle chuckled out of nowhere, turning the corner away from Ryan’s apartment. ‘Virgin. I wonder what Ryan was thinking … I didn’t think he’d start going after good girls, unless you’re lying … He’s usually a badass, you know? You’re a highschooler, and everything! Virgin!’

I gasped, staring at him. ‘Excuse me?’

‘You’re seventeen years old and you’re a virgin! Going to be a senior and you’re still a virgin!’ he was now laughing at me. Who the hell did he think he was? ‘How can you live like that? I lost my virginity when I was only –’

‘How the hell would you know?’ I demanded, blushing furiously. Immediately I wished I hadn’t got into his cool, fancy red car. The red was amazing on it. I didn’t even know what it was called, but it was quite a sporty car. Probably really expensive. And fast, of course. My stomach churned, my nails digging into my seat for support. It was like a death-trap.

‘You’re not even denying it. That’s adorable. Don’t worry, I’m sure Ryan will change that for you soon enough,’ he winked, causing me to blush furiously. ‘Let me guess, Ryan was your first kiss too, huh?’

‘You don’t even know me! Stop speaking to me like that!’ I nearly yelled, my temper now raising rapidly in embarrassment. How dare he tease me just because I was still a virgin! I was so angry!

He glanced at me and then turned his attention back to the road ahead of us. ‘You know, Ryan told me nearly absolutely everything so far. In fact, when he rang me last night he never stopped talking about you. I’ve never seen him so excited about a girl before.’

‘He doesn’t even know me –!’

‘Yet he claims that he’s in love with you. That’s funny. Well, I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone I know before. Then again, trust Ryan to get himself into something like this. What are yous, Romeo and Juliet, or something?’

I glared at him, unbuckling my seatbelt. He was the second person to compare us to Romeo and Juliet. I didn’t like it one bit – I didn’t want my relationship to end in tragedy. Although, we were being crazily alike the two of them. We were being rash and impulsive. I wouldn’t have been surprised if Ryan proposed to me today. That was how Romeo and Juliet went like, right? I pushed the thoughts of a wedding away, nearly laughing at my own stupidity. We only knew each other three days now. He was also in love with me. Or was he joking … ? Why did I always think of worst-case scenarios? Anger was an understatement of how I was feeling at that thought.

‘What’re you doing, crazy woman? Planning to jump out of my car? Jeez, it’s not that bad. Do you always do this?’ Kyle asked, grabbing the belt and buckling it again. I tried to push him away, but, he was much stronger than me. I huffed, feeling helpless. Maybe I needed to start kick-boxing lessons soon, or something …

‘Let me out – I’d rather walk home.’

‘Do you know which way to go?’ he grinned, cocking an eyebrow. ‘Where do you live, anyway? Ryan told me it was near the park –’