𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Start from the beginning

The way he said it made it clear there was no discussion to be had. Dad had already decided for the both of you that you were going and it makes you grit your teeth as you unpack your food onto a plate. 

"Cool." You grit, shoveling a mouthful of food past your lips after to stifle the profanities that threatened to spill. 

"Is that.. Not okay?" There he was, reading you like a book like always but there was no way to explain why you didn't want to go that he would understand. He didn't get it, and wouldn't even if you tried. 

"Oh, I just.. What time is it? I have some work to do."

"Well, I took the afternoon off for it. Maybe you could too?" Ouch. But he was right, of course. You nod and force a smile you know he doesn't believe but he doesn't pry further. "Perfect. I'll call him tonight and let him know. Thanks, honey."

"No problem, dad."

The Cameron estate looked smaller than you remember but that was to be expected. Your dad pulls past the gate and the large house and expansive grounds around it open out before you. There were gardeners keeping the land in pristine condition and a blonde girl a few years younger than you was walking towards the front door. She turns as you approach and she covers her eyes with a hand to block out the sun.

"Sarah?" You ask as you step out from the passenger side in your baby blue sun dress. Not your usual style, but this goddamn heat wouldn't let you feel comfortable in much else. The girls features light up a little, a small smile on plump lips. "You look so different, oh my God."

"Wish I could say the same but I regretfully don't really remember you much." She admits, though her expression was pure humor. "Good to see you all the same." 

"Oh good, you guys have met." Rose slips from the open front door in big buggy sunglasses and a fuchsia maxi dress that blew in what little breeze there was. "Thank you so much for coming, it's all Ward has been talking about all day--"

"Hey!" The man himself joins his wife in beige slacks and loose white button-up. He was tanned and grinning like a Cheshire cat. You couldn't tell how genuine it was, but your dad matches his energy anyway, pulling him in for a hug like the old friends they were.

You exchange pleasantries but mostly you can't stop waiting for the older Cameron sibling to make an unwelcome appearance. The air felt relaxed for now but you were sure it would be a lot more tense when he reared his head. Sarah's little sister Wheezie came down the stairs as you were being seated out on the lawn. Ward was cooking up some barbecue food that didn't smell nearly seasoned enough. 

But luckily, Rose was kind enough to offer you some punch that included a little alcohol to make you relax a little more. It worked. Soon enough, you and Sarah were sat gossiping at one end of the table, catching up on all that had happened in your lives. 

"So, Rose said your boyfriend Topper would be here tonight?" You cock a brow since he was not, in fact, here. She purses her lips to stifle a cheeky smile.

"Yeah, I broke up with him. I kinda... Found someone else. Don't tell my folks though, they will not approve." She admits, voice no higher than a whisper. You gasp exaggeratedly and lean a little closer, secretly loving the gossip she was feeding you with. 

"Who?!"

"Girl, please. Like you'll know." She teases and you roll your eyes though she does make you smile. She was right after all. "But he's a pogue."

"A what?"

"A pogue. You know, those that live down on the Cut?" She notices your judgy frown and waves a flippant hand. "Relax. We call them pogues, they call us kooks. It's just... Our thing, I guess."