Slowly, the other idols gathered, the different colored jerseys parting ways as they each took their side of the field to start.

Hongjoong looked back at the crowd, another smile curling up the side of his mouth.

"Kim Hongjoong! Kim! Hong! Joong!" San was screaming like no one else was there, showing off his sign with an adorable insistency that finally made Hongjoong drop his head at an unexpected rush of shyness.

There was laughter around him, countless praises from his teammates that somehow got San to scream even louder before he bursted into giggles.

His smile was too wide for his face, too happy for his cheeks to handle.

Hongjoong didn't know how he even survived that game.

How he managed to focus at all when he could hear every shout and gasp of amazement, each one guilty of making his heart dance in his chest.

He hadn't felt that happy in a very long time.

In the end, San's the one that gives Hongjoong his medal.

It was plated gold, tied together by an orange ribbon, and San couldn't keep the smile off his face as he handed the reward to the man who looped it around Hongjoong's neck.

He was supposed to be professional.

He was supposed to act like Hongjoong was just another idol receiving his prize, but he was practically bouncing on his toes as he watched Hongjoong inspect the medal hanging off his chest, so unapologetically proud.

Hongjoong risked a glance at San, smirking like there was a secret worth hiding, when in reality it was fairly obvious that they were in the same group.

If anyone was unaware that San was with Hongjoong, then the crooked smile San flashed him as he moved to the next person in line was enough to give it away.

"Why are you even an idol?" San questioned preposterously once they were out of the arena.

"Why aren't you kicking balls into nets and fucking everyone's shit up for a living?" He demanded, baffled enough to let out a grating laugh into the stillness of the bathroom.

"I'm small as fuck." Hongjoong provided easily, grunting as he slid out of his sweat soaked clothes.

"It's a pretty easy fact for most people to accept-"

"Shut up." San grouched, sounding small but agitated, and Hongjoong was amused to find that he could hear the pout in his voice.

If he was going to stand outside the bathroom stall while Hongjoong changed instead of waiting outside like a normal person, then Hongjoong was going to give him shit.

That's just how it worked.

San knocked violently at the door, scaring Hongjoong to the point where he knocked his ass hard against the toilet bowl and growled in pain, one leg dangling out of his pants.

"How long does it take to change clothes? Did you break a few hips in there, grandpa?" San teased, trying to peek through the slot in the door.