Ghosts, Ghouls, and High School Fools [18]

Hello! :)
I am very aware that it's been forever since I've updated this. But, I can guarantee that this chapter was worth the wait. It's short, but you are going to love it. :D

~*~

I walk out to the edge of the woods near my house. I see Jonathan through the trees sitting near a small creek. I climb through the underbrush and join him on the log he sat on.

“He told you, didn’t he?” he mumbles to me.

I can’t find my voice for a moment, but answer, “Yes.”

He sighs and fiddles with his hands. I turn and look at him. The sunset lights his profile, turning his skin a light golden hue and glistens off his hair. Feeling my stare, he moves his gaze to me. I know I should turn away, rip my eyes from his, but I can’t. I feel a brush against my hand and see his fingers inches from mine.

“It’s funny,” he speaks suddenly, startling me, “For the longest time, I wished for death. Immortality is a curse. The human spirit is not meant to live as long as I have.”

I feel a chill run through at his words. As his skin touches mine again, flashes of image pass through my mind. They are all different in time and place, but only one thing links them together: loneliness. Hundreds of years’ worth of loneliness. It overwhelms me and I gasp and choke on a gulp, shuddering. Jonathan reacts quickly, placing his hands on my face and suddenly the flooding images change. I see the great pyramids, the Italian countryside, galloping horses in the Midwest, flowering trees in the Orient. Hungry for more, I press my forehead against his. A lifetime explodes into my mind. There is some pain, but I push it away.

Then, Jonathon pulls away, breaking contact. My eyes fly open and lock to his.

He lets out a gentle breath, his eyes shutting. “It’s always the wonders and beauty of life that seem to escape from memory, but you’ve brought it back. So many things I had forgotten, too shadowed by my selfishness.”

A moment passes. Jonathan moves, shifting so our shoulders touch, separated by the fabric of our shirts. Even through his clothes, his skin is chilling and causes goose bumps to rise on my arm. “I had grown weary of my life. Death had been appealing, but it isn’t anymore,” he still wouldn’t look at me, “In these past few weeks, I have felt more alive than I can remember. I’ve never met anyone like you, Quinn, so bright and fiery. I’ve never had anyone argue against every word that comes out of my mouth or challenge me to step out of the icy façade of placed over myself.”

His chill grows stronger with his words. “Icy? You? Never,” I stutter.

The corner of his lips lift. “As strange as it may sound.”

Closing my eyes, I search for that little green flame. It dances at my attention and rises to my skin, warming me. I reach for Jonathan’s hand, threaded my fingers through his. They tighten around me and I can’t help but notice how easily they match together. I push the warmth to my fingers, to his, pushing it as far into him as I can. He shudders and groans, leaning into me.

His leans his forehead against mine. I can feel his breath on my face and instinctively move closer. He raises a hand to my cheek and his fingers brush along my jawline. “Quinn…”

I feel butterflies in my stomach, but push them away and, throwing my worries into the wind, I do the bravest thing I’ve probably ever done in my life. I raise my head and press my lips against his.

My green fire bursts and burns brighter than ever before. It sparks between us and heat floods through my system. Jonathon’s lips push against mine as he wraps an arm around my middle and places a hand at the back of my head. My hands creep along his shoulder to press against the side of his face and he sighs.

He pulls away, leaving feathery kisses along my lips and cheek. I open my eyes and look at him. I swear I can see my green fire dancing behind his eyes.

“You make me want to live again, Quinn.”