Chapter 6

If anyone ever tries to tell you that home school is like normal school. Poke them in the eye for me. Because, they're lying through their teeth.  After three months of being cancer free, taking three exams and having a one on one with not only the guidance counselor, vice principle, the head principle, the school board, and lets toss a few doctors in there for good measure. They all determined that I was advanced and well enough to start junior year.  So I was getting ready to go to a real school again.   Something I had only done twice and not something I thought I would ever get to again.  I was only ever in school for a handful of years. Once when I was in kindergarten and again when I was supposed to be cancer free.  So from the ages of nine through fourteen I was in normal school. Then after eighth grade during the summer is when they found out that the cancer had returned.  So I never did get to go to high school and now looking at it for the first real time I have to say nothing prepares you for it.  Standing outside the brown brick building I was really thinking maybe homeschool was for me.  I didn't know anyone here. Well except my sister but she was just now a freshman.  So she really wouldn't be much help.  

I ended up in mostly honors classes.  Dont ask me how I did that because, I have no idea.  I did spend most of my time reading.  That is when I wasn't puking my brains out, sleeping, or being rushed to the hospital because I had stopped breathing or something else life threatening.  So I guess that might be why.  Who knows maybe this pendant gave me a superpower and now I just know everything.  MMMM Id have to test that out when I got home.  Have my sister ask me a question see if I just happen to know the answer.  

I made sure I got here a little early so I could find my class. So I guess it was now or never.  I could walk up those steps or turn around and run home and pretend that this day never happened.  As you most likely guessed I decided to go up the steps but, not in the normal way.  I had just taken one step and I guess my shoe string had come undone and my other shoe stepped on it so down I went to smack face first into the cement stairs.  

After a few seconds I realized I wasn't in excruciating pain and opened my eyes.  To see a guy standing there with his arm firmly around my waist keeping me about an inch from the steps. I looked up into his eyes and noticed that they are green or no more like jade. Like the old necklaces my hippy grandmother used to wear before she passed.  I shifted to get my feet underneath me and all of a sudden the arm that was holding me up let me go.  So I smacked butt first onto the stone steps and to make matters worse the zipper on my beloved book bag decided at that moment to rip open throwing all of my stuff all over the stairs. I know you want to know where is the jerk that saves me from smashing my face but lets me black and blue my ass on the steps? O he's walking up the steps away from me not a care in the world. 

So I start picking up all my stuff rubbing my poor behind while I'm doing it.  And this other girl walks up and starts helping.  She was dressed in a short denim mini skirt with fringe sticking off the bottom and a black vest with a white v-neck t-shirt underneath it.  I have to say that I loved her hair it seemed to be full of air and would bounce every time she stood to hand me back something. She really seemed put together unlike me who was in a pair of jeans id had for years and a long sleeved blue shirt that still hung on my a little.  Whatever the pendant did it worked fast.  After I woke up to my legs be top shape the rest of me followed.  Within a month it was like I had never lost any weight and although my hair after almost 4 months was still not even to my shoulders.  It now resembled a cute but extremely short pixie cut. 

"I'm Katelyn, I guess your new here." She picked up my bad and handed it back to me.  "Everyone knows not to give David the time of day.  He's a player and well a jerk." She took a deep breath stopped and told me to just stay away from him.  I couldn't agree more.   "So your new."  It really wasn't a question.  With a town this small you kinda knew everyone.  My sister had friends, but they never really paid any attention to the sick girl.  I was hoping that title wouldn't follow me here.  After we picked everything up and I went to find my schedule she snatched it out of my hand and started reading.  She gave me a look like I was an alien, handed it back and said that my first classes was that way as she pointed to the left.  "Its the third door on the right, you cant miss it." She then turned around and headed in the opposite direction.  

So much for finding a friend on the first day.