December 25th 2007

Don't you find it odd that in one day something can go from being the most beautiful thing to ever be blessed upon this planet to something so fragile that even a wrong look could send it into a devastating crumble and be gone in a matter of seconds? It was odd that no one paid attention to what was once so valued. To just leave it blindly behind.

I remember the lake, the beautiful crystal blue-grey lake that perfectly reflected the curved brown tree that hung over the lake throughout all the seasons, no matter the weather or how rough it got around the area.

I remember it.

~

May 2004.

After figuring out that Harry was undeniably a Horcrux, things changed for the worse. Harry changed slowly, instead of the heroic act he always displayed it turned into something quite off-putting, to say the least, particularly after the Order had tricked Voldemort into thinking Harry was dead, winning the battle and then, unfortunately, starting a whole new war over it.

Although the part of Voldemort that lingered in Harry was gone, something else remained.

the war stretched on for way longer than anyone could ever anticipate, three years longer. As they approached May in the fourth year of the war, things grew worse.

Harry grew increasingly dim and distant and hasn't been the same since, he goes out on every mission he can worm himself into so he doesn't have to stay in the "god-forsaken halls of Hogwarts", he doesn't talk to Ron nor Hermione anymore, especially not since he blamed her for the loss of his precious ginny.

She can remember the day like it was just yesterday, cold and swept with misery, it was a couple of months after the battle that started the new war. She and Ginny were only supposed to be on a quick mission, it was an in-and-out type thing, scouting for bases run by Death Eaters, it was morning when the base they were located at was overrun by Death Eaters who had been following them the entire way, installing Non-Apparition Wards all around the area, trapping them.

Her vision swam, and the memories seeped into the corners of her eyes, pulling her in.

They quickly understood what was happening, and immediately threw their wands into action, spewing hexes as fast as they could to the death eaters who were circling them, like they were prey, trying to make it difficult to keep track of everyone.

"I can't... I can't keep up!" Ginny huffed, attempting to keep up with the green curses flying at her.

She was under-trained for this kind of combat. She wasn't honestly supposed to be out here today with Hermione. The cause of her being out in the field was because some sorry sod cancelled and lied about being ill to get out of today's mission.

Hermione had a year of additional training and used her school knowledge to assist her in this sort of combat. She had to do a lot of the labour against the Death Eaters while Ginny had little to no combat experience.

The following moments felt like a blur to Hermione.

"mione- " Ginny attempted to speak again, twisting her head to look at Hermione as if she magically contained any idea of what to do about the situation they were stuck in. Ginny let her guard down to glance at her, Hermione sometimes wishes that she never came on the mission to begin with but to also see the Death Eater creeping closer to her, in a sloppy movement he whipped his wand directly at Ginny. The cruel being stood before us and muttered the words Hermione wished were never spoken aloud to the girl she loved like a sister.