16

𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘
the little things? the little moments? — they aren't little

𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 the little things? the little moments? — they aren't little

ANOTHER TWO WEEKS went by fast. and even though Hope had come to terms with the fact she can't go home, she was still sad because it's her seventeenth birthday and she can't celebrate with her friends and family.

"Klaus, our baby girl is seventeen," Hayley clapped and smiled widely, excited to watch her daughter grow up. Yes, it's different than she wanted, but she still gets to watch her daughter grow and learn and love.

"I wish we were with her," Klaus whispered, pursing his lips, hating that he doesn't actually get to enjoy all of it with his daughter.

"Me too." Hayley nodded and leaned her head on his shoulder.

Elijah eyed Hayley's head on Klaus' shoulder before inhaling through his nose. He simply ignored Freya who patted him on the shoulder.

Sighing loudly, she glanced down at her locket and picked up with delicate fingers. It was a necklace that Rebekah had given her when she was just a child. It meant everything to her because it had the Mikaelson crest on it.

Rebekah smiled through her tears, "I'm so happy she kept it."

And, as if sensing her sadness, Scott and Stiles burst through her bedroom door with a cake they made, singing terribly to happy birthday.

"Happy birthday to you, Hope Mikaelson!" They shouted in sync, and Stiles even did jazz hands. "You're finally seventeen!"

Caroline giggled and covered her face. "They're so cute!"

"They're the best for her," Freya commented with a smile as wide as it can be. "I hate to say this, guys, but I think she belongs in that universe."

"That's malarkey!" Klaus roared, "she belongs with us, her parents!" He gestured between himself and Hayley.

"But you're dead..." Freya started slowly. "And that's might not change once we get out of here. And if that is true, and you're still dead when we're done here, wouldn't you want your daughter happy? Even if it's without you?"

Klaus opened and closed his mouth before sitting down in his seat heavily, frowning deeply.

Katherine, who was still in a corner cowering, was thinking back to what Freya had said. If the time outside of this room is still the same, meaning their memories of this place will be gone, then her plan will go to shit. She shook her head, cleared her throat, stood up, and strutted to her seat. Everything will work out, she has to believe that. She's Katherine Pierce after all.

Hope looked between them, her eyebrows raised and trying to not smile. But, once she saw the cake which was bright pink with a terrible font spelling out 'happy birthday Hope', she snorted, and her smile grew huge. It began to hurt her cheeks from how big and genuine the smile was.