• like a sibling, right? •

y/n's pov

"gotcha now forest boy!" i yelled as i was tackled neteyam. we were play fighting in his hut.

"alright alright! you win" he smiled as i got off of him.

"like always," i laugh at neteyam. he rolls his eyes. i stood up and lent out my hand to pull neteyam up on his feet. neytiri walked in the tent carrying a basket of food.

"y/n baby, you're mother is expecting you home now," she gave us a soft smile. "okay," i nodded as i returned a smile. "well i better go, bye tey!" i say as i walk out the door.

"see ya y/n," neteyam waves and smiles. he watched me carefully as i left his hut. he walked toward the doorway, making sure i got back to my hut safely, he always does this.

he walked back into his tent and sat down for dinner. i realized i had left my knife back at the sullys, so i had to go back and retrieve it.

as i got closer to their hut, my body filled with happiness, hearing all the laughter they shared. it was so heartwarming, the way the family has such a great bond.

soon enough the laughter died down and i suddenly heard them bring up my name, so i stopped in my tracks and decided to eavesdrop. i've always wondered what they really thought of me anyway.

"do you like y/n, neteyam? i mean you guys are alwayssss touching eachoth-" loak began, before neteyam smacked his arm.

"bro, no!" neteyam laughed. "neteyam you totally have a big fat crush on her!" tuk added.

"tuk you can't talk you like her little brother" neteyam defended himself. tuk stuck her tongue out at him.

i almost giggled at this, but if i did, they would've heard me, so i slapped my hand over my mouth. i was actually so surprised about this, i wonder if my brother, kiyeri, liked her back. definitely asking when i get back!

the thought overcame me though, did neteyam like me? i always felt a connection with him. i wonder if he feels the same.

"well, do you like her? you didn't deny it..." kiri asked. there was a brief moment of silence after that.

"no, i don't like her. she's just like another sibling to me guys! we've known her our whole lives. me and her just tend to bond better i guess." neteyam said.

i swallowed the lump in my throat. well i guess i got my answer. not the answer i wanted, but it was an answer. i decided it would be awkward if i just walked in to grab my knife, so i'll just grab it tomorrow. i headed back to my hut, hanging my head. i really thought he actually liked me, how stupid of me.

~~~~~

the next morning, i didn't meet neteyam at our spot like usual. i wasn't trying to avoid him, but at the same time i was. now that i know how he feels about me, it'll just be awkward. i don't know why. i should've known.

i decided to help my mother with breakfast to take my mind of neteyam. and after we finished, we ate.

after eating, i decided to go out and walk around. i had nothing better to do. that was when neteyam spotted me. there was no way i could avoid him now. he ran up to me.

"y/n! hey," he approached. i greeted him back with a nod. "hey teyam." i looked down. "where were you this morning?" he asked.

i didn't know what to say, so there was a pause of silence before i spoke up. "oh uhm, i forgot to tell you.. i was uh helping my mother with breakfast," i scratched the back of my head.

"oh, well are you free now?" he asked.

"well i-" i spoke before he cut me off. i didn't want it to be awkward so i tried getting out of hanging out, but that didn't work.