Part 10 - Acceptance

Clarke POV

I am talking to the Commander and I realize that the Grounders aren't that bad of people. They take care of their own and stand up for what they believe in. The Commander has trained me in using their weapons and fighting skills, even though I already knew how to fight. All the other Grounders have welcomed me and treated me as one of their own. Well, almost all, there's a couple that think I am weak and don't deserve to be here, but they don't worry me. Since the Commander taught me their language, I can have a full conversation with any grounder.

I was about to head over to the fire to grab some meat when I heard someone walk up to me. "Commander" I say bowing my head as I turn to face her.

"Clarke of the sky people." She greets me. She still called me that, I don't know why but It pisses me off and she knows it."klark, yu don odon well ba der ste won thing left. beja follow me." (clarke, you have done well but there is one thing left. Please follow me.) I follow The Commander to her tent and stood patiently. After about three minutes of just standing there, I got impatient.

"heda, chit ste the won thing ai don kom do?" (Commander, what is the one thing I have to do?)

"Clarke. You are a great 'Grounder' and I am giving you the last thing that will officially make you one of us." She says it with a smile on her face. She always goes back and forth between English and Trigedasleng. She turns around and grabs something. "When you put this on, you will become one of us and you will become my second." She says spinning on her heels.

She revealed black heavily padded armor. I admired it a little before bowed my head and going to put it on. "ai badan yu op en nou moun. ai will protect yu kom ai sonraun." (I serve you and no other. I will protect you with my life) She smiles and, to my surprise, hugs me. I am shocked and don't know what to do. She lets go and extends her arm. We grab each other's forearms and do a 'Grounder shake'.

"You may keep your gun, but you also need one of our weapons," Commander says. She leads me to a separate tent, our weapon tent. "Pick any one you want." She says before guiding me inside. I walk in and am amazed by how many weapons we have. I walk around until I come to a large sword with a huge blade that looks like it could cut your fingers off in one touch. The Commander saw me handling the sword and smiled "That was my first weapon. Before I became Commander" She says with her smile disappearing.

We walk out and she puts a hand on my shoulder. "Would you like to test it out? With your armor on?" Commander asked.

"I would love to." I say with a smirk on my face. The commander stepped up on a table to speak.

"chon gon ai many warriors would like kom welcome klark kom our ways?" (Who of my many warriors would like to welcome Clarke to our ways?) As soon as she said that two warriors stepped forward and a circle formed the three of us. Sure enough, the two that stepped forward were two of the grounders that thought I wasn't good enough to be here. I pulled my sword out and the grounders laughed. "osir will make disha easy ona yu. lets do won ona won." (We will make this easy on you. Let's do one on one.) This time I laughed. "chit, yu think bilaik low gon me?" (What, you think that low of me?) I say to them with a smile. "give me hogeda yu got." (Give me all you got.) And with that, they both charged at me.

I ducked and weaved, they couldn't touch me. One is big with two daggers, the other is smaller with a small sword. The small one rushed at me and I moved to the right to dodge his attack. It would have worked perfectly except the big one was waiting for me and knocked me to the ground. He got on top of me and whispered in my ear. "I knew you weren't cut out for us. You are just a little snob who thinks she's better than everyone else." He growled.

I punched him in the jaw and rolled him off me. I quickly stood up and moved to the right. The small grounder fell over the bigger one and they were both on the ground. "As you were saying?" I say with joy in my voice. I knew they would try to get revenge for humiliating them, but I didn't care.