Chapter 42: Nothing But the Truth

Early the next morning, Sam makes his way downstairs to make breakfast for himself and Leighton, not aware that Leighton is slowly waking up. After finishing breakfast, he grabs some plates and two mugs of coffee before heading upstairs. 

          Sam walks through the bedroom door, shutting it with his foot, "Good morning," he smiles a little.

          "Hi," Leighton smiles softly, sitting up.

           "How are you?" Sam asks, handing her a mug and a plate of food.

           Leighton shrugs her shoulders, taking a long drink of her warm coffee before setting it down.

           "What about you staying here?"

           "Like me not moving back home?"

           "Yeah," Sam nods. "I mean you're already here and we could stay here," Sam finishes.

           "I don't know Sam," Leighton sighs, running a hand through her hair.

          "So you wouldn't be willing to stay here?"

          "Do you remember that night at the bar and that older lady was sitting beside me?" ignoring Sam's question.

          "Yes," Sam nods his head.

          "She was telling me a story about how she dated her professor," Leighton looks at Sam.

          "Yeah I know, I've heard the story plenty of times."

          "Her husband had gotten fired from the school but she said he taught at another University."

          "Yeah," Sam says, "they got married so he could work at another school."

          "Shit," Leighton mutters, her phone ringing on the nightstand. She picks up the phone, her ex's name flashing across the screen. "Yeah?" Leighton answers.

          "Hey, how are you doing?"

          "I'm good. Umm listen Mark this isn't a good time," she says. Sam rolling his eyes hearing Mark's name. Leighton knowing she needs to call her Uncle.

          "Oh, I'm sorry. I was in Iowa for work and I was gonna see if you wanted to get a drink?"

          "Umm maybe another time," locking her eyes with Sam's who proceeds to walk out of the bedroom.

          "Oh, alright well hopefully I'll talk to you soon then."

          "Umm yeah sure," Leighton sighs a little watching Sam walk out of the bedroom.

          Hanging up with Mark, she makes her way down the stairs, dialing her Uncle. Once stepping into the kitchen, phone pressed to her ear, she goes to the fridge and pulls out a bottle of water as her Uncle picks up.

          "Hello?" he answers.

          "Hey its Leighton, you busy?" she asks walking over to Sam and sliding her hand around him on his back, leaning up and kissing Sam's jaw softly.

          "Nope, what's up honey?" he answers. Sam kisses her forehead.

          "I have a situation that I'm really hoping you can help me with."

          "Sure what's going on."

           "First I wasn't completely honest with you on how Sam and I met."