1:3

There wasn't much for people to say after the last chapter ended. So, after a few groups came back to their seats from getting snacks or using the bathroom the screen and book started up again.

Chapter 3: THE LETTERS FROM NO ONE

Nyx's head tilted slightly to the right as she heard the chapter title. It jogged her memory for the events to come. In a whisper she said, "Huh, this should be fun."

The Slytherin boys sitting near her exchanged looks and couldn't determine if she was telling the truth or being sarcastic.

The escape of the Brazilian boa constrictor earned Nyx her longest-ever punishment. By the time she was allowed out of her cupboard again, the summer holidays had started and Dudley had already broken his new video camera, crashed his remote control airplane, and, first time out on his racing bike, knocked down old Mrs. Figg as she crossed Privet Drive on her crutches.

Instantly, The Marauders, future children, and small Slytherin group tensed. Some of them were even white knuckling their wands.

Nyx was glad school was over, but there was no escaping Dudley's gang, who visited the house every single day. Piers, Dennis, Malcolm, and Gordon were all big and stupid, but as Dudley was the biggest and stupidest of the lot, he was the leader. The rest of them were all quite happy to join in Dudley's favorite sport: Nyx Hunting.

This was why Nyx spent as much time as possible out of the house, wandering around and thinking about the end of the holidays, where she could see a tiny ray of hope. When September came she would be going off to secondary school and, for the first time in her life, she wouldn't be with Dudley. Dudley had been accepted at Uncle Vernon's old private school, Smeltings. Piers Polkiss was going there too. Nyx, on the other hand, was going to Stonewall High, the local public school. Dudley thought this was very funny.

"They stuff people's heads down the toilet the first day at Stonewall," he told Nyx. "Want to come upstairs and practice?"

"No, thanks," said Nyx. "The poor toilets never had anything as horrible as your head down it -- it might be sick." Then she ran, before Dudley could work out what she'd said.

Nyx had a soft smirk on her face as she recalled her comeback to Dudley all those years ago. She was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a quiet huff of laughter to her left and a light squeeze on her left hand.

Turning, but only just enough to see and not draw suspicion, she saw a small, nearly invisible smile. She let her gaze be noticed and was then met with a quiet, "Это определенно звучит так, как сказал бы твой отец." (That definitely sounds like something your father would say). Nyx had to bite her lip to hold back an absolutely blinding smile. She squeezed his hand a bit tighter before whispering, "Забавно. Мне сказали, что я получаю большую часть своих камбэков от тебя." (That's funny. I'm told I get most of my comebacks from you).

She had to dodge a skillfully hidden swat to her head because of that comment.

One day in July, Aunt Petunia took Dudley to London to buy his Smeltings uniform, leaving Nyx at Mrs. Figg's. Mrs. Figg wasn 't as bad as usual. It turned out she'd broken her leg tripping over one of her cats, and she didn't seem quite as fond of them as before. She let Nyx watch television and gave her a bit of chocolate cake that tasted as though she'd had it for several years.

Nyx prematurely winced before mentally counting down from three.

As she silently reached zero, she looked over at the loud gasp from where most Gryffindors were seated. She nearly burst out laughing when she saw the younger version of her Uncle Remus looking absolutely mortified. Dropped jaw, hands fisted in his hair, and just sputtering out curses.