One

"Come, we must return! Those two fools who run my theatre will be missing you!" Erik snapped as he pulled Christine over to the lake. She came without struggle, confused and afraid. It was not that he didn't notice her fear, because he did. He wanted nothing more than to reassure her, to tell her that he meant no harm. But he knew it would only make matters worse. She was afraid of him now, and there was nothing he could do about it. He cursed his temper, his impulsiveness.

They continued to the surface, he in his musings, she in hers. Not a word was exchanged until their destination was reached.

"Goodbye?" He said unsurely. She gave no response, only ran off out of the tunnels.

Erik went about his rounds of the opera house halfheartedly that day. He couldn't put Christine from his mind. Her beautiful face..... The peace that was on it as she slept. Her flawless voice. The way it had screamed when he yelled.... No, it wasn't just his yell that had frightened her. His face. If I weren't so repulsive, I might actually have a chance.... He thought.

After delivering a few notes about the performance to the managers, he retreated back to his room. He sat at the piano, a melancholy tune working its way through his head and into his hands, filling the cavern with a glorious, dissonant sound. Usually pouring his emotions into the music made things better, but not this time. He broke down mid-chord, sobbing pitifully. It was all because of his face, he thought. This abhorred, ugly face! How he wished he didn't have to be cursed with it.

He made his way to his bed and flopped down on top of the silky covers. He didn't need to extinguish a light, he kept his cave relatively dark. His eyes had grown accustomed to it over time, and could see fairly well.

Erik drifted off to sleep, dreaming of Christine. He slept well, despite the overwhelming emotions churning in his mind.

The light of the sun shone through the windows, waking him up. He yawned and sat up, looking around at his smooth, brightly painted, stone walls. Hold on just a minute....... Sunlight? Windows? Bright colors? This wasn't right! Erik's cave was dark. It had no windows; it was underground! He didn't paint his walls, as they were too rough...... He was thoroughly confused. He stood up with the intentions of inspecting the place further, but was distracted when he saw what he was wearing. Silk robes! Red ones! With a gold sash. He didn't remember changing into these before bed. He didn't remember owning these, for that matter!

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"It is I, Yzma! It's time for breakfast, your Majesty!"