XVI. Jealousy

"I must say, you look quite lovely with your hair pulled up. Those earrings are quite eye-catching as well." Leander doesn't smile as he makes this comment, in fact, he seems to be sizing you up as he says it. With an uncomfortable smile, you nod at him, unsure of his motives.

        "Thank you, my boyfriend likes it too." His eyebrows lift in surprise and he scoffs before walking off. You shake your head as you look at Onai who giggles to herself at the interaction. You're about to ask her if he's always been that strange but you notice commotion by the entrance of Hogwarts. Your fingers toy with the homemade banner, wondering if what you did was distasteful. 

        "Don't chicken out when you've asked me a favor. Be brave." Natsai smiles and lightly waves the end of the banner she holds. 

        "I still don't know why we can't even read the banner, there are much better things I could be doing with my time," Sebastian complains, leaning against the bricks but eyeing the crowd suspiciously. 

        "Trust Y/n, Sebastian. She hasn't misled you yet." Ominis jumps to your defense and you smile.

        "It's a fun surprise for you too Ominis. You'll know what it is the minute Sebastian reacts." You tell him and you spot Renee's wand lifting from the crowd that follows your surprise. Natsai notices the signal with you and you pull away, stretching the banner to reveal the message. 

        "Welcome Back? Who are we welcoming?" Sebastian questions. He's about to complain but you watch his expression shift. His eyes widen, his body tenses up and his hands drop to his sides. You catch the distinct sight of tears well up in his eyes and his jaw tenses. A quick glance at Anne and you know he can already tell she's here to stay. Her color has returned to her skin, and she walks with confidence. Her arms open, still a good distance away.

        "Anne," His voice trembles and breaks before he takes off in a sprint. Your own lips tremble in empathy and you laugh through the tears that are summoned. Ominis gasps and leans closer to you, putting a hand on your shoulder.

        "Anne is here?" He sounds excited and it makes you laugh.

        "She is. And she's here to stay. She's recovered. We found the cure." He hugs you, and you freeze before dropping the banner and returning the hug. While he doesn't know the details, you're honored that he thinks to thank you even before welcoming Anne. You pull him tight to you and hold back a sob.

        "I love you," you whisper to him before standing on your toes to kiss his jaw, as that's all you can reach without any assistance. "Now go greet her." He kisses your forehead before allowing his wand to guide him. Natty has the banner folded up and hands it back to you.

        "Thank you for allowing me to be in on this surprise." She smiles gallantly at you and you smile back.

        "Thank you for helping. You're not so bad when you're not judging people for their families." You tease and she shakes her head, holding her hands up in defense.

        "I'll admit any day I was short-sighted. Accept my apologies, for both you and Gaunt. You two have taught me to learn someone for who they are, not what they may be." You burn the banner without another thought and she hums. "And I see I must look closer sometimes. I didn't know you were skilled with the Incendio charm to cast it with no words, let alone without a wand." You don't miss a beat while shaking your head.

        "No no, I had my wand." Your wand is in your hand in seconds and she waits for you to explain the lack of incantation. "What? You think with my love of dueling I wouldn't have at least a single trick up my sleeve?" You can tell she doesn't buy it by her laugh but she drops it, walking away. You can hear Sebastian sobbing from where you stand and you sigh, knowing he'll deny crying that hard when people go to bring it up. Ominis is all smiles and you wonder what he says to Sebastian because it causes both Anne and himself to laugh.