Suma looked around in a panic. "Has she been eating?!"

"Of course, she has! We're the ones making the food around here!" Makio bumps her on the head. The action would've made me laugh, but all sense of happiness has been lost from my brain at the moment.

"I think she's having trouble sleeping." Hinatsuru comments. The dark-haired woman sits on her knees by the food, setting up the plates and chopsticks.

Tengen's shoulders flinched at his wife's words. "What?! How did I not know this?" He turned to look at me from his sitting position, and I rolled my eyes. I set my wooden sword down on the engawa of our home. My butt is then placed last on the blanket next to Tengen. I grab my chopsticks and go to grab some food, but Tengen himself smacks my hand. "Geeze, what is with you today?" He scoffs.

I sigh, sitting correctly and putting my hands together. "Thank you for the food," I say, clear boredness laced in my voice.

Eight years ago, Uzui Tengen, the Sound Hashira, found my village in ruins. It was an hour away before morning when he arrived, but he managed to slay the demon before it got to me. Seeing my only family die before my eyes once again, I envied Tengen's power to slaying demons. Thoughts of what if's and possibilities ran through my mind as I thought of myself having the ability he had. What if I learned that before the demon got here? Would I be able to kill it? Could I save my family? Being eleven years old at the time, I knew what the answers were to my questions.

Even so, I ran to the man and begged him to train me. After a few hours of ignoring his disapproval, he reluctantly obliged my request. He took me in, and I became his Tsuguko. He's like a father to me, and his wives are like mothers to me. However, I am much closer to Tengen than his wives.

To this day, I have not spoken a word about Sahi, my demon friend. I know how much Tengen and the other Demon Slayers hate demons. Telling him I was friends with one will undoubtedly kick my butt out onto the streets again.

I've lived with Tengen for a long time, and never once have I thought of my past. The visions and nightmares have been coming more frequently, terrifying me to the core. Hinatsuru was right. Because of the nightmares, I really haven't been sleeping well. Of course, that's not something I talk about with others.

"Kana."

I blink, realizing I have been staring at Tengen the whole time I was thinking about my past and how I got to where I am now. My chopsticks stuck out of my mouth absentmindedly, and I pulled them out with a short, awkward cough. His wives were also staring at me, the atmosphere quiet once again.

"Seriously. Are you alright?" He asks me, eyes refraining to leave mine.

I look away, nonetheless. Seeing that look in his eyes scared me. Worry. As much of a father figure as he was, I couldn't stand how people worried about me. It wasn't an often look in his eyes, either.

Setting my chopsticks down on my empty plate, I clap my hands together, "Thank you for the food. It was delicious," and standing up to walk away.

"H-Huh! Where do you think you're going?!" Makio yells at me.

I wave at them as I walk past the gate. "To Kyojuro's."

— — — —

With the help of Tengen, my hard work has paid off, climbing each rank to the top. Over a year ago, I was confirmed to be the first-ever Nature Hashira. And during that meeting, I met all of the Hashiras besides Tengen.

Kyojuro Rengoku was the one who stood out to me like a sore thumb. His hair color was very unusual and unique, as was his personality. I was attracted to his fire-like hair, eyes, and overpowering sense of justice. His voice made my heart skip a beat. Never have I had that feeling before.