Chapter Twenty Seven

Before he could get much more out, the twins were off the couch, hugging him. "I'm so glad," came Asim's voice as they looked up at him, dark eyes shining tearfully as they buried their face into his stomach. "I miss Luke, but I missed you too. I don't want anything to happen to you."

Stunned, Xoris reached down to stroke the teen's black, glossy hair. "I missed you too. All of you. I'm glad I got to see you again." His words were quiet, thoughtful as he stood there. Maybe I really can just stay here, and put everything behind me.

"Well, you know what this calls for?" Merkos prompted, glancing around. He pushed himself off the couch, walking over to a cabinet before rummaging inside. "I think what we all need is some quality time together. We haven't even seen each other in so many Withers."

He removed a polished grey box from the shelf that Xoris recognized immediately, sliding it on the table in front of them. "So, let's play a few games after dinner, and the younger ones are put to bed, just like we used to. In the meantime, I can show Xoris more of everything he missed. We're not the only ones who need to be caught up on things after all."

"That sounds like a great plan. There's still a few turns until then, but I'll keep it in mind," the Warden reassured him before casting a weary glance at the box. "I just wish you'd pick a different game for once."

Next to him, Alaina nodded, also not looking thrilled at Merkos' choice.

"Oh come off it! You're all simply jealous of my natural talent. Come on Xoris!" Merkos was back to leading him upstairs. "I want to show you more of my project."

Nodding in response, Xoris let himself be tugged upstairs, a grin bright enough to match Merkos. It was almost surreal, how quickly he'd come to accept the news and his pushing for them all to get along, and yet... Anxiety crept through him, trying to sour his mood.

"M-merkos?" he began as the maje opened the door to his room. "How are you dealing with all of this so well? You... know what I did, and yet you're still trying to spend time with me, helping me, and keeping a smile on your face, despite it all. Why?"

As happy as he was to be home, even Xoris felt guilty whenever a positive emotion flickered through him. Did he deserve to feel happy when he'd lost Luke once again by his own hands? Did he deserve to be loved and comforted, and even if he did, why was Merkos able to be so giving, so quickly?

The joy faded off his fair features at the question, and Xoris' nerves spiked as his expression changed to be something more serious. "Are you asking this because you're worried about how I look at you, your actions, or Luke's death?"

"All of the above, I suppose. Really, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had reacted like Naeh. At least it's... logical," Xoris replied with a shrug.

In response, Merkos flopped down on a chair, tilting it back as he rocked it with his feet. "Ever since you came back, I've been thinking. Especially last night. It's... a lot to take in, and— I'm scared, and curious, and Pakhiv! There's so many questions I want to ask and things I want to see. For instance, you have all these mouths! Can you eat with them; talk with them? Can you see everything at the same time? What is that like, and how does it work? It's interesting, and skin-crawling, and... a lot of other things." He took a deep breath as his joking nature deflated.

"But... I already lost a sibling. I don't want to push away another, and I don't want you to have to hide yourself or expose yourself anymore than you're comfortable. Whether that's in information, memories, or looks, I want you to express yourself however you feel fit."

He glanced away, fiddling with the bulky sleeves of his robes before he turned his attention back to Xoris. "I think that's an important thing to offer to anyone, no matter who, or what they are."