Chapter I: Dodge-Demon Ball

Since this is the first chapter, we would really appreciate any form of advice and opinions! Hope you enjoy it. Don't forget to vote and comment.

This chapter is written by Hana.

Students lined up against the opposing walls of the gymnasium, both having predator-like looks on the orange balls in the center. Hana scanned the other team, concluding on which throws would be easier to dodge or catch based on the player's expression and physique.

The seniors had not played dodge ball in quite a while. The last time they did, a boy was diagnosed with a concussion because of a very strong throw from an anonymous student.

The student shook her head to herself and stiffened as she heard the coach's obnoxious whistle. All of the players rushed to grab a ball from the middle, raised their dodge balls, and threw it across the gymnasium. Orange flashed through Hana's vision as she dodged each throw skillfully.

"Come on! Just- stand- still!" Three from the other team yelled, frantically trying to hit her with a ball and make her get out of the game. The coach watched from the sidelines, satisfaction written on her face.

Hana grinned and remembered when she had marked the speed rune on herself in the locker rooms before anyone had entered. It allowed her to have inhumane speed, and with the proper control, it looked believable enough. She finally picked up a ball, and for a few seconds she glanced around the room to see that most of the students had been hit, except for five on the other team and three beside her.

Are you ready?

A whisper sent a chill down her spine, and when she turned to look at her teammates, none of them showed signs of speaking, which made her shiver again.

Just at that moment, Hana stiffened. She heard growls and roars from outside the gym, and stifled a yell as creatures stormed into the gym. Instinctively, she pulled out a seraph blade from the inside of her shirt, and saw two other boys do the same: one that had brown hair and eyes, and another that looked unfamiliar. Hana recognized Husni Morgenchild, an annoying boy from another class in their grade who lived a double life as a loyal Shadowhunter and high school jock, but her gaze rested on the other boy with confusion.

She tore her gaze away when she saw fur in the corner of her eye, and her eyes widened at it. It was Isra Rosewood, a good friend and classmate of hers. Hana could recognize her movements from a mile away. Claws extended from her fingers and her teeth were bared as she fought a few demons. It would not kill them to use her claws and teeth, but it would at least slow them down.

A few other students transformed as most of the others ran away screaming from who knew what they saw. Since the demons were part of the Shadow world, only creatures that were a part of it could see them. Most Mundanes do not have the Sight, so their vision replaces the demons with something normal, like a bear. If wild bears were considered normal.

Thankfully, the demons were not blocking the two blue doors that served as an exit, so the Mundanes ran through it and escaped safely. All Mundanes but Heather Farzin had left, who was staring over Hana's shoulder in disbelief and terror.

It's her fault she's going to die, Hana thought.

Hana called her seraph blade "Ithuriel," and advanced on the demons. Hana did not have any time to mark herself with healing or strength runes. The other teenagers, now revealed as Downworlders and some Shadowhunters, attacked as well. She slashed her blade across a demon's neck, beheading it, and gagged when the smell blood entered her nose.

As a young Shadowhunter, she was taught to always be aware of her surroundings and know who was on whose side. She could see Maheen, sprinting from one demon to another as she dodged their attacks. She seemed to be assisting Husni, distracting the demons as he stabbed them from behind. With their speed, a Shadowhunter and a vampire, no being could escape.