I know people were on their feet and applauding but I couldn't hear them. I felt like I was underwater, swimming through a coldness with Grindylows grabbing at my ankles and pulling me under.

'Harry...' Draco was saying quietly into my ear as he leant close. 'Harry... you need to go up.'

'Yes,' I said, dazed.

'You can do this,' he said reassuringly. 'This is okay. We're all here for you, listen...'

Indeed, the applause and cheering were monstrous but it was for me.

I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose and stood, straightening my jacket and thanking all the gods that Walburga had made me go and buy new dress robes. I stood tall and tried not to trip over my own feet in front of all those people as I made my way up onto the stage to an excessive clicking of Press photographers going crazy.

'Thank you,' I said nervously to Kingsley as he took the Order medal from its case and pinned it to left breast of my coat just above the pocket. I was glad I hadn't gone for the pocket square and I couldn't help thinking that Mr Cargador would be recoiling at the amount of green that now adorned my black-tie uniform, as he called it. The carnation had been one step too far and now the ribbon on my medal too... It made me feel slightly hysterical.

Kingsley shook my hand firmly and indicated towards the lectern and I felt my palms go sweaty as I looked out at 500 eager faces, all waiting to hear me speak. My tongue actually felt swollen and my heart thumped hideously.

'Do you think I could have some water?' I whispered to Kingsley, though his Sonorous picked up my voice and broadcast the request to everyone.

The water was produced and everyone sat back down and waited silently, bar the flashes and clicks of the cameras. I swallowed deeply and took a deep breath and tried to smile. Then ran a hand through my hair, no doubt messing it up completely.

I caught eyes with Draco, who was smiling fondly and shook his head lightly in amusement. I knew he was laughing at my hair and somehow that made me feel better. It made me feel normal in the madness of it all.

'I actually wrote a speech,' I said. I withdrew the small scroll from my pocket, aware my hands were shaking. 'But I wasn't expecting this so I'm not sure it's appropriate now. I was just going to say thank you for helping me celebrate my birthday, you know, name a few names, hopefully embarrass a few people, that sort of thing.'

There was laughter and I tried to relax a little. And as I did, I grinned, suddenly finding the hilarity in the situation couldn't be contained any longer. I looked down the unfurled scroll in my hands.

'I was going to say I never had a birthday party before so this is one hell of a way to make up for it.'

There was more laughter and another applause as I looked around the vast room with this sea of faces all looking at me. I was sure I heard Charlie and George wolf-whistle and I thought it's okay, I made them laugh again, it's a good response. I also thought they want to listen to me. And maybe I felt ridiculous and too young to be stood in front of them with this award but I also that yes, Luna and Draco were right, I'm in control here. I felt the panic fade because I thought; they want this. So, I took a deep breath and continued because, as the dust settled, I knew what I wanted to say.

'That speech definitely isn't relevant now.' I crumpling the scroll. 'You know...' I said, looking out at the huge room before my gaze rested back on Draco, 'I was in Dublin with a good friend twelve days ago...'

I winked at him and there was an excited rustling throughout the room because The Prophet had already printed news speculating that Draco and I were the mystery names behind rumours of a new Quidditch Home Nations Championship. Saying I was in Dublin with him would just confirm that for many people.