Chapter 8

Chapter 8: London Bridge is Falling Down

As Harold led their guests in, Bellatrix's eyes widened in surprise. Two of the four she knew, at least a little, and they were the last two people she expected to see walking into their parlor with an Auror and a goblin. She, Rod, and Rabastan had met Gellert Grindelwald around two thousand when Kreacher began working with him and his partner Blaise Zabini on enchanted items for their shop. Their first project with the Black elf had been a concept of Kreacher's: pillows that granted the sleeper an uninterrupted eight hours of sleep.

"Hi!" Kereston greeted, springing to her feet at sight of them. "We thought you were sent from the Ministry to fix whatever mental tampering was done to the Lestranges, but you're obviously here about something else. What's up?" The little blonde's expression went from pleasantly surprised to concerned about whatever may have brought them here.

For her part, Bellatrix wasn't worried, at least not about the new arrivals, because they, themselves, did not look worried. All four appeared relaxed. She was more concerned about whatever was done to her, Rod, and Rabastan's heads in the late seventies and by whom.

"It's alright, Little Bit," the Auror spoke up reassuringly, directing a fond smile to Kereston. "I was given the order to bring a trusted Healer to the Lestranges and oversee the process. Considering you'll be Minister tomorrow, I decided to stop off at Grimmauld and run the order by you, to see what you wanted done. These three were there, going over a few details with Kreacher and Regulus. As Grindelwald is a Healer, I asked him if he'd check the Lestranges over if you were good with that... You know, in case some information comes out that you may not want one of the St. Mungo's Healers to be aware of."

Apparently, at least some of the current Aurors were willing to work with goblins and elves... and Acromantulas to entirely restructure the government. Bellatrix wondered how many. In her experience Aurors weren't, as a rule, the most cooperative or open to change. This particular one seemed average and basically nondescript, so there had to be more to him than met the eye.

"Actually, yes, Greg, that's great," Kereston said, giving the Auror an appreciative smile as she sank back into her chair.

"Considering the St. Mungo's Healers have to deal day in and day out with our Longbottom leftovers, I doubt they'd try very hard to help us anyway," Bellatrix said, unable to suppress a cackle at the memory of breaking the stupid blood traitors.

"I really didn't want to include you in this new endeavor of ours," Kereston told her with a frown. "So please stop trying to remind me of what shining models of kindness and stability that the three of you most definitely aren't! Right now, I am really tempted to question Regulus and Kreacher's good judgment."

Bellatrix tossed her head and smiled at the little blonde. "Right... Sorry."

"What's the goblin doing here, then?" Rabastan wanted to know. "Did he bring dinner?"

The goblin in question scowled. "I thought he could fetch the Curse-Breaker if the three of you are willing to work with us, because the Curse-Breaker is also a goblin," the Auror Greg replied calmly.

"Well, that works out, because we did agree," Bellatrix said.

The goblin turned to Kereston, dark scowl fading slightly. "Shall I go for the Curse-Breaker, then?"

"Yes," Kereston nodded. The little blonde was beginning to look mildly harried. "Thank you, Griphook." He Apparated away with a crack.

Griphook was a familiar name. Perhaps they'd dealt with the goblin at the bank, Bellatrix mused, sliding Rodolphus a sidelong glance. They all looked alike to her anyway.