12. With Polished Execution

Distance was a concept Reece hadn't quite understood when it came to us. This morning however he'd been nothing but. He hadn't so much as looked in my direction. His morning friend had only wound the dangerous man tighter, and I could see something explosive just beneath the surface. Walking across the bed on my knees, I slipped my arms over his tense shoulders. "Morning..." I whispered. Stilling for a second, he continued to type out something on his phone. Reaching around to snatch the device out of his hand, I held my breath waiting for a reaction. Standing to his intimidating height he watched me warily. "I said, morning Reece."

Holing his palm out, he scratched the back of his hair. Smirking, I returned his mobile. "I'm going to go take a shower-" collecting my things, I watched him over my shoulder "-you're welcome to join." I laughed, pushing the door ajar as I stepped into the ensuit. I knew the man wouldn't, his restraint was commendable- I'd give him that.

Having brushed my teeth, I switched the faucet off and carefully stepped closer to the door left slightly open. "Listen, if you're late Jimmy- payment? How 'bout I let you keep breathing fucker..." Reece's voice fell silent and his heavy footsteps began to near. Moving away from the crack, I tiptoed into the shower cubical, switching both the faucets on quickly. Returning to the door, I pressed a palm to my beating chest. When he spoke once again, I breathed easier.

There was no margin for error, I would not get this opportunity again. Reece was particularly good at what he did, the best. He didn't slip up often and that alone raised all sorts of questions about what had been brewing in New Orleans. The bedroom door slammed shut and I returned to the shower. Dressing in half the time, I rushed downstairs.

Scanning entry points as I searched for Ward, I clenched my jaw. Sneaking out of the manor wasn't likely, the security was on high alert. My attempted escapes were at the forefront of their checklists.

If I had the slightest faith that Reece was going rogue, I would have brought Ward in on the plan. However, lately it seemed everyone was conspiring with one another, and I was on the outs. I couldn't yet be sure if Ward knew of Reece's, impromptu disappearing acts and lucrative rendezvous in the park.

Catching a glimpse of the built man's well-kept body as he rounded the living room corner, I bolted after him. "Ward!" Losing him in the west wing hall, I realised he was on his regular loop this morning. B-lining for the pool, I decided to meet him at his destination rather than attempt the chase again.

Within moments of entering, Ward appeared. Sighing, I hurried over to him. Surveying his tablet, he continued around the space. "Good morning, Ward." Looking up from his screen, he held a finger up to silence me. Pressing the same finger to his earpiece, he spoke into the small device.

"Put another body on the back gate. Fifteen-minute intervals." The concrete man stiffened on my approach, instantly on guard- no doubt suspicious of my intentions. Switching off his tablet he folded his arms across his chest. Linking my fingers in front of myself, I blinked up at him innocently. "What can I do for you, Annie?" He asked mindfully, almost as though he were regretting the phrasing of his question.

"What I can't just be in the mood to greet you, Ward? I have to need something to approach you?" I could have sworn the corner of his mouth twitched with amusement. It was hard to tell with Ward, it could just as easily have been a brief muscle spasm. Raising an eyebrow, he tilted his head in a gesture to proceed with my request. "Okay fine. I'm bored...I want to go out. Anywhere really. The park maybe-"

Not even allowing me the curtesy to finish, he dropped his arms. "No. You stay here, Reece-"

"Isn't here." I offered, slightly irritated to learn that now Ward also took orders from the pro-guns walking poster boy. "All I'm asking for is half an hour, Ward. You can take me yourself." Pleading with him, I dropped my shoulders in defeat. Gesturing around the room I sighed. "I'm going crazy, Ward, please." I was begging at this point.