Tears filled my eyes and spilled down my cheeks as I imagined hunting with her. Finding our victims and taking what we were hired for. Sharing meals under the moonlight. Making love beneath the full moon. I was seeing a life with her that may never happen.

My mother had never cared much for me. I grew up that way. I dealt with the abuse at home and I dealt with the bullying at school. I've never been accepted for who I was. Not once. After one too many hits, I finally left. And now I have a pack of wolves who never fit in anywhere. I am part of a group that was rescued by a girl who had it bad too. A girl who was as much an outcast in the werewolf world as I was in my human one. A girl who was a ghost of who she used to be. Just like me.

I turned my head away from the trees, surprised to discover I had been lost in thought there for a few hours, living memories even as I fantasized. I glanced at the darkening sky, impatient to go rescue my mate, before walking back over to the fire, where Lauren was cuddled against Eric's chest. I shifted and her eyes opened, a sigh slipping from her lips as she slipped out of Eric's arms. She shifted and we moved quietly to the edge of the woods.

We should hunt first, I told her, my stomach cramping as I caught a whiff of a deer nearby.

Do you think that's wise? What if they're out hunting too? Lauren asked.

It's a risk we have to take, Lauren. We need to be strong if we expect to get out of this alive. I said.

She nodded her agreement and then we were off.

About an hour or so later, we stood at the edge of the property, wet from the dunk in the river south of here. We'd needed to wash away the blood from our kills. I motioned with my head for Lauren to go on to the shed and then I gave myself a running start and shifted just as I jumped for the ledge of the window. I caught it, but just barely. I clung to it with one hand while tapping the glass with my other hand.

My body jerked hard against the wood when I heard a gunshot and felt pain in my shoulder. I didn't even look. My eyes were locked in a pair of eyes blacker than the night as the window flew up and her blonde head came out. "Silver," I gasped in relief as she grabbed my arm and yanked me through.

As soon as the window was closed behind me, I was up and jerking her to me, our lips meeting hard. I expected her to kiss me back. I expected her to be happy to see me. Instead, to my absolute surprise, Silver shoved me back from her and then grabbed my shoulders to shake me. "Are you insane coming here?" She hissed, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "They'll kill you!" And then she began to cry as she pulled me into her arms and sobbed into my neck, "I thought you were dead!"

"I almost was," I admitted, wincing as she squeezed me tighter. I patted her shoulder. "But I'm okay, baby, and I'm here now. I'm here to save you."

She stilled in my arms and then moved back. I dropped my arms to my sides and frowned at her. "Alana, I can't leave yet."

"What?" I felt like my heart was breaking, like she'd just ripped it out or something. "Why not?"

"I have unfinished business here." She told me quietly, not meeting my eyes.

"What kind of unfinished business?" I asked harshly.

She raised her head and I gasped, stumbling back in shock at the sight of the spiked collar around her throat. "I need to help the packs here reclaim control." She said in a determined voice.

"No, you need to come home." I said flatly. "Gavin is with Jared, but with the mating heat, I doubt they'll be able to protect themselves properly. Look what trouble we've gotten into under its influence. Lauren is in the cells looking for you while her mate is having to be restrained a few miles from here by Maya and Mark. Paul is dead. Collin is God knows where. We're falling apart. We need you."

A knock sounded at the door and Silver shoved me into the closet as the door opened and a girl who could've been Silver's twin stepped in. I could barely see through the crack in the door but I saw Silver embrace this girl.

"Lily," Silver breathed. "Why are you here?"

"To warn you and to warn her." The girl, Lily, gestured to my hiding place and I shoved the door open.

"How did you---" Silver began but Lily cut her off.

"Chris is downstairs and Dad is here. Your girlfriend got herself seen and shot at and now the men are searching the property for her. They thought she dropped under the shot but you must've pulled her in. Listen, if she doesn't leave now, Dad will collar her or kill her." Lily said, her blue eyes on me. "I wish you could stay. I've heard a lot about you."

I gave her a small nod and grabbed Silver's shoulder. "You better think long and hard about this, babe. Because if you stay here, you will be abandoning your pack and me. I'll come back soon. I love you, Silver." I kissed her hard and then opened the window and jumped.

I shifted as I hit the ground and started for the forrest, for the safety it would provide. Something large moved in my perephial vision and then I was tackled to the ground and my world went black.