“That's the problem, Mia” I groan. “She's not saying anything”.

“I thought you said—”.

“Yes, I know what I said but I never meant it to include not objecting to anything concerning this engagement”.

“What did you understand by 'I'm not meddling in anyone's life anymore'  huh?” Mia asks. “She moved out of the house, for crying out loud”.

“Mia, she didn't pester me about making my wedding dress. She didn't offer to escort me to shop for a wedding dress either. She didn't say anything about us inviting Noah's family... knowing what they are”.

Mia sighs and takes my hands in hers.

“I know this isn't what I'm supposed to be saying because it won't help you feel better in any way but I'll still say it” she sighs. “You broke mom”.

I frown.

“And when we had the chance to defend her and not let this escalate, we all kept quiet about it. So it's not only your fault, but all of ours”.

“Mia—”.

“Alexis, right now, worrying isn't going to do anybody any good. And today is supposed to be a happy day for you and for everyone because you're getting engaged to the man you love. So don't worry about mom today mm? She'll come around... eventually”.

I sigh.

“This is the worst pep talk you've ever given me, Mia”.

She chuckles.

“But you're right... this is a happy day so no more mom talk” I say.

“Good”.

I smile at her and give her a hug.

“Thank you, Mia” I whisper.

She rubs my back.

“Anytime, baby”.

✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽  

My father gives me the hundredth hug and I smile.

“Daddy I'm only engaged; not being lead to a slaughter house” I chuckle.

He chuckles back and finally lets go of me.

“I know, but it's hard for me to see my little girl all grown up and getting ready to start her own life”.

I smile.

“I'll still be your little girl, even when I'm fifty” I say.

He pulls me into another tight hug and I hug him back.

“I love you daddy” I say.

“I love you more, pumpkin” he says back.

He lets go of me but I remain in his arms as he gestures over my head.

“Remember to go say goodnight to your mother”.

I nervously turn to her direction. She was standing with Noah's mother, Darla.

“Okay” I say and begin to move towards her direction.

“Alexis!” Poppy chirps from the other side.

I stop and wait for her to get to my side. She gives me a hug and I hug her back.

“We're still allowed to visit after you and Noah get married, right?”.

“Visit? Girl please” Ruth-Alma scoffs, reaching my side too. “I'm moving in. There's no way I can live without Noah's pot roast beef with French onion gravy”.