♡ 49 ♡

sofia had just finished her date and was about to head home when she noticed an elderly man walking around aimlessly on the street. he looked confused and lost, so the girl could not help but feel concerned. she walked up to him and asked if he needed any help.

" excuse me, sir, are you okay? " sofia asked with concern.

the old man turned around and looked at sofia with a blank expression. " i'm not sure, " he replied. " i was supposed to meet my daughter here, but i can't seem to find her. " the old man, whose name was george, explained that he had been out running errands but had gotten turned around and couldn't remember how to get back home. he was visibly disoriented and was struggling to remember even basic details about his address.

sofia's heart sank at the sight of the old man's confusion and realized that she could not leave the old man wandering around the streets by himself. she decided to offer her assistance and asked george to give her his address.

" okay, don't worry. let's start by looking for some identification in your pockets. do you have anything with your name or address on it? " she said with a smile.

the old man rummaged through his pockets and found a piece of paper with his name and address written on it. " can you use this? " he said, handing the paper to sofia.

the girl read the address, " it's a bit far from here but i can help you get home if you'd like. "

the old man looked relieved, " that would be wonderful. thank you, young lady. "

" it's sofia, " she replied. " my name is sofia. " with a little bit of prodding, george was able to recall her name.

as they walked, george talked to sofia about his life. he told her about how he had served in the military during world war II and how he had been married to his late wife for over fifty years. they had lived in their current home for over thirty years but sadly his wife passed away last year. he also talked about his children and four grandchildren and how he missed them dearly every day.

sofia listened patiently as george spoke, and she could see the gratitude in his eyes. she wished she could have a normal family instead of being adopted, but the girl was still grateful nonetheless to have kun and seulgi as her siblings.

they stood and wait by the bus stop, but the older seemed to look confuse. " we're going to take the bus together. " sofia explained, trying to be helpful.

the old man thought for a moment and then replied, " i live on elm street. "

sofia smiled and nodded as she heard him giving his adress once more. the girl signaled for the bus to stop and as they got on the bus, the old man seemed a bit uneasy, struggling to climb up the stairs.

" here, let me help you, " sofia said, offering him her arm.

the old man grabbed onto sofia's arm and they made their way to a seat. " thank you, solita. " the girl laughed after hearing her name being changed.

as they sat down, the girl realized that the old man had forgotten his mask. " sir, you need to wear a mask on the bus, " she said, handing him a spare one she had in her purse.

the old man looked at the mask for a moment and then put it on, but he put it on upside down. " i'm sorry, sir, your mask is upside down," she calmly said. george looked at her with a confused expression and then realized his mistake. " oh, my! i'm sorry, i haven't worn one of these before. "

the girl couldn't help but chuckle at the sight of the old man with his upside-down mask. " don't worry, sir, it happens to the best of us. "

as they rode the bus, sofia and the old man struck up a conversation. she now learned that he was a retired dentist. he was retelling the stories of his life and sofia found herself thoroughly entertained. " you have a nice teeth. " he smiled and sofia bowed slightly as a sign of gratitude.