Chapter Thirty

They went to New York. It was their city now, holding their memories and secrets of runaways and kisses, blue hair dye and tears. They were staying at a friend of a friend's flat, (he was away on a trip to get married in Vegas to his brothers girlfriend). It was small and the windows didn't open, the oven smelled rank and the bed was far too big for the bedroom but it was fine for now.

"Hey love." Jess greeted as Dani walked in, still in her pajamas, (below) with her blue tumbling in messy curls down her back.

She hummed in response and made herself some coffee

She hummed in response and made herself some coffee. Jess was sat at the kitchen table, reading another book, scribbling notes in the margins as if it would save his life. They sat in silence for ten minutes before Jess shut his book and looked up at her.

"It's Friday today." He hinted.

"Mmhh." she nodded, sipping her coffee.

"Are we going back or are we going shopping, 'cos we have no food?" Jess asked.

"Shopping sounds great. We have to get some money though." She said, putting the mug down and looking up at him.

"We can stop by my mom's. She owes me pocket money for the past sixteen years anyway." Jess snorted.

"Alright then," Dani smiled, "I better get dressed." She kissed him softly before going back into the small bedroom to get dressed. She used her Hayden-fast-dressing-skills and was out in ten minutes, tying her hair up.

They stopped off at Jess's old house and Dani stood awkwardly in front of the door, milling around and trying not to look like a sketchy drug dealer. Jess came out ten minutes later, looking disgruntled and slightly upset but he masked it over with a smile and took Dani's hand, leading her to the nearest shops.

It turns out that two sixteen year olds who don't know how to cook aren't good at grocery shopping. There was an argument over flour, a disaster in the canned goods aisle when Dani tripped over her shoelaces and at one point Jess had been lost in the frozen section so they had to yell at each other across the aisles to agree to meet up in the bakery section.

So after all, it was very amusing although unsuccessful. They had brought, however, many frozen pizzas and ingredients for mac n' cheese along with lots of unhealthy food and packs of cigarettes. Alcohol was off the table but luckily, the friend of a friend had a stock of beer in his slightly moldy fridge, so they'd be fine in that department.

Something was wrong with Dani, something was bothering her, and Jess was still not right after seeing his mom so the walk back to the flat was a silent one, and unlike their normal silences, it was awkward and uncomfortable. They were sat on the sofa watching some TV show in Spanish because no one could find the remote to change the settings.

"I think we should go back." Jess said, eyes still on the screen.

"No. You can, if that's what you want, but I'm staying." Dani said, blue eyes on the screen as well.

"I said We, Ella. I said that for a reason. Your dad won't be there and we can't hide here forever." Jess tried to reason.

"I don't belong there, Jess, I'm sorry. I tried, I really tried but I can't." She turned to look at him, to meet the brown eyes she fell in love with.

"But your mom and Rory, your new room, your stuff.."

"They're just temporary, replaceable things." She shrugged him off.

"You can't replace people, Dani! Your family aren't temporary!" Jess exclaimed, shocked.

"Freddie leaves, he comes and goes and no one complains." Dani said quietly.

"Then go and date Freddie! But I can't let you waste your family like this, Dani, I can't. Because we both know how shitty people can be and we both know that Lorelai and Rory aren't like that!" Jess said, standing up. Dani followed.

"It's not my home, Jess." She said, following him to the kitchen.

"Where is then? Because you leave every single place you've ever bothered to stay in, so make your fucking mind up, Daniella, because I can't do this anymore." Jess spat.

"Then don't! I'm not stopping you!" She retorted, "I'm fine without you. I'm fine without everyone!" She hissed but tears were falling down her cheeks.

"Dani-"

"No, I'm fine!" She yelled, pushing him back. "I'm fine, I'm fine, I promise, I'm fine." Her voice was no more than a whimper now, she was barely choking the words out.

"You don't have to be, love." Jess soothed her, stroking her hair and holding her close. "We'll make our own home, together, yeah?"

"Promise?"

"Promise."

***

The End ;)

***