The Companions (Special Episode)

And thus, the trilogy of special episodes comes to an end.

(Dokja's POV)

I felt a hand grip the sleeve of my coat, the hand keeping me from walking and further. I sighed and turned my head. "What do you wa- " My voice froze as the figure in front of me fell to the ground, kneeling in front of me. I dropped to my knees. Grabbing his shoulders, I called to him. "Yoo Junghyeok!" He started laughing. The sound of one of my skills activating rang through my ears. I immediately knew what it was.

[Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint Level 2]

{Look at me you fool, I'm fucking pathetic...}

{...A pathetic traitor."}

My grip on his shoulders immediately hardened. I opened my mouth to speak, making sure to keep my voice gentle. "Junghyeok-ah, listen to me. You are not pathetic." I thought I saw his eyes waver, but he didn't respond. Or at least not with his voice.

{"You can hear me... can't you?"}

I nod my head in response. The protagonist scoffed. He lifted his head, his eyes locking with mine. To most, they would look cold and empty. But to me... all I saw was pain and suffering. And a longing to learn the truth. "You don't have to talk to me Junghyeok-ah. We can just stay like this if you want?"

{"I forgot you had a skill like this?"}

I let out a small laugh. "It's okay to forget about things. No one can remember everything." The light left his eyes. I immediately regretted saying that the second after the words left my mouth. From what I remember reading about, Yoo Junghyeok only had the information he knew because he had t live his life over and over and over again. Whenever he forgot something, it would either lead to his death or the death of someone he cared for. And he hated himself for it. "Junghyeok wait."

{"Don't lie to me. I am pathetic."}

I slapped him across the face. He gave me a look of utmost betrayal. He bowed his head once more. "Stop saying that about yourself Yoo Junghyeok, you are human, you can't be perfect. You will make mistakes, and you can't do anything to stop it.." His thoughts stayed silent. I hope I didn't say anything too far. "I'm sorry." It clicked in my mind that he spoke using his real voice. Then the regressor looked me in the eyes, small streams of water flowing from his own. "Yoo Junghyeok?" A nearly whispered. This man who I have read about for over ten years, this man who would readily die for those he cared for, this man who saved me... this man was crying... and Yoo Junghyeok never cries.

His head drops once more. Before I knew it, my hand had already risen up to hold his cheek. I cringed internally at the action, but I didn't pull back. "Hey," I ask softly. "It's okay." I crouched in front of him so I could hold him up. "It's okay to make mistakes, everyone does. But making them doesn't mean you are pathetic." His eyes drop. "You know me as Yoo Jugnhyeok the Regressor. A powerful man who lives his life over and over and over again. That is what the universe knows me by as well. But what kind of regressor am I if I can't save my companions? What-" Yoo Junghyeok paused, his voice breaking before he finally answered. "What kind of companion am I when I push those who try to help me away?"