Ten

📍12th April 2021 - Imola, Italy

The black Range Rover pulled up on the empty runway, only one plane rested on the hard tarmac as Max's plane came into full view, lit up as the boys were already on board as the girls arrived.

"You alright?" Francesca asked as she rested her hand onto Amber's thigh. "It's going to be okay."

"I know." Amber said in a sharp exhale. "I'm just nervous."

As the girls left the vehicle and pulled their suitcases from the luggage hold in the back, the staff who worked on Max's plane exited the craft to help take their things and welcome them on board with a glass of champagne.

As Amber steadied herself, the cool morning breeze pulled her hair across her face as she took small steps towards the entrance, following Francesca as she could hear the distinct noises of the drivers on board.

She breathed in the air one last time before her legs carried her up the small flight of stairs, ducking her head ever so slightly to enter.

"Welcome, Miss Corbelli." A female flight attendant said as she smiled brightly over at Amber when her feet first made contact with the carpeted grounds of the plane. Amber greeted her with the same warmth and energy as the lady in front of her as she looked to her right to view the aisle of seats situated inside.

The bright white lights contrasted with the cream carpets and oak washed surfaces as she noticed Francesca signalling for Amber to follow her with one movement of her hand.

"She's alive!" Lando dramatically shouted as Amber entered the seating area.

Of course, the first person she noticed was Daniel; seated with his headphones sitting around his neck as he held his laptop firmly on his lap.

"I haven't been gone that long, Lan." Amber teased as she tried to break the ice with the boys she hadn't seen in so long.

"Good to see you." Michael said as he pulled Amber in for a hug, squeezing her slightly in the process as Amber's hand lightly tapped the back of Michael's shoulders.

"So, this is Amber." An unfamiliar voice rang from the other side of the aisle as Max Verstappen took a step from his seat to greet Amber. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Max. I've heard a lot about you."

Amber's anxiety halted as she realised that people had been talking about her when she wasn't there. Her mind spiralled as she pondered on what they could've been discussing about her but it came as no substantial shock that her name had been mentioned without her presence.

Francesca took a seat next to Lando as she opened her laptop to show him the upcoming schedule for the weekend, informing him of times he was needed in certain areas of the paddock.

Amber scanned her eyes quickly as she realised that the only seat available was the one directly next to Daniel.

"Are you going to sit down?" Daniel asked as he pointed across to the vacant seat beside him. "I didn't save this seat just for you, for you not to sit down."

Amber smiled politely as the others went back to what they had been previously doing, with Blake giving Amber and Daniel a quick glance at their first interaction.