One

Phil POV
The sun shone down on my face, making me squint against the bright light. I could feel my skin heating up, but I didn't care. It felt nice to sit in the sun for once, I've never really been able to. The wind swept through my hair, making it fall into my face. I scowled up at it, as if that would make it move, then ran my hair upwards through it, trying to get it to stay up but it immediately fell back down into my face. I huffed and threw it to the side, not caring if it looked sloppy. It's not like I had anyone to impress.

I tried to go back to enjoying the sunlight, but the wind kept blowing my hair around in my face, making that impossible. Fed up, I stood up, brushing the grass off my pants and making my way back to my house, my hands in my pockets. Maybe I should just cut my hair.

Suddenly, I heard a small cry from behind me. I turned to find three towering boys and a small girl standing about fifty feet behind me. I sighed, resigning to find out what was up before unneeded attention was attracted to us.

As I walked up, I saw the situation more clearly. The three burly guys were surrounding the girl, who wasn't quite as small as I originally thought. She was probably thirteen or fourteen. The men standing around her, I also realized, weren't ordinary men either. They're like me.

In fact, I recognized one of them: Marcus Butler. He has a tendency of being in the center of trouble, no wonder I found him here.

"Hello, Philly. Nice seeing you here," Marcus sneered as I walked up to they're small torture circle.

"It's always a pleasure Marcus," I said without emotion. "Who might this young girl be?" I asked, nodding in her direction. She gave a small whimper before one of Marcus's cronies responded.

"Just an afternoon meal, nothing special," he said maniacally, flashing a menacing grin.

"Really," I answered without hesitation. "And why did you choose this innocent child instead of, I don't know, a deer or something?"

Marcus scowled at me as the girl quietly sobbed. "She looked more delicious. Are you gonna tell on us, little philly boy?" The other guys laughed at the belittling jab, but I stayed composed.

"I won't have to, will I?" I asked, giving them the biggest smile I could manage. The others looked confused, but Marcus stared at me, fear growing in his eyes. I've only known Marcus for a short while, but he understands that I don't mess around when it comes to human life. He stared at me for a couple more seconds, before finally breaking the eye contact.

"Come on guys," Marcus said defeatedly. He received a few weak protests in response, but his friends followed him willingly.

I turned to the girl who was barely still standing next to me.

"Are you alright?" I asked, placing a hand underneath her arm to steady her. She stared after the three boys walking away, making no attempt to move.

"Come on, you should sit down," I said, steering her toward a small park bench nearby.

"V-v-v," she started to stutter out.

"Mmhmm," I said, not really paying attention. Why do I always get stuck with the aftermath of these situations.

"Vam-va-va-" she mumbled again.

"Yes those were vampires," I responded with a bored tone.

She looked at me with a shocked expression. "Wha-"

"Sh, it's fine. You won't remember in a couple of minutes. Tell me your name please," I said, placing her down on the park bench and squatting in front of her.