Chapter Thirty-Nine

The way Levi used to communicate was very astounding. While he had certain similarities with Luke, he was also considerably different from Luke in many ways. Levi was incredibly sweet, but more like Levi than Luke. Luke was also excellent. However, Levi wasn’t always as terrible as Luke was. This was due to the fact that Levi was able to use vocabulary that was so refined and lovely that the typical person would not be able to use it.

It was strange. After only twenty-four hours of getting to know Levi, I found myself drawn into his aura, curious about every word he chose. It felt like each sentence was a thread carefully woven, deliberate in its design. His words carried an elegance, almost as though they’d been written for a novel. And while his manner was charming, it left me feeling like I was the character he was observing, dissecting.

In the middle of this thought, I blurted out, “Do you eat any vegetables?”

Levi, who had been rummaging through the refrigerator, froze mid-motion, his brows pulling together. “Excuse me?”

I shrugged, awkwardly trying to regain some composure. “You just seem like someone who lives off black coffee and existential dread.”

He blinked once, then a slow smile crept across his face. “Vegetables are for people with uncomplicated lives, Ella. My diet consists mostly of caffeine, poorly timed meals, and occasional sarcasm.”

I laughed, surprised by his quick-witted response. “So you do eat,” I said, turning my back to him to lean against the counter. “That’s a relief.”

"Are you offering to cook for me?" Levi teased, his eyes gleaming with amusement as he leaned against the fridge door, crossing his arms in that smooth, deliberate way that made him look like he belonged on the cover of a magazine.

"Maybe," I shot back, not missing a beat. "Considering I don’t know how you’ve survived this long without groceries."

Levi’s smile faltered slightly, something more serious slipping into his gaze. "I’ve had other things on my mind."

I paused, sensing the sudden shift in the air between us. "Like what?"

He opened his mouth to respond but hesitated, the moment hanging precariously between us. Before either of us could break the silence, the front door swung open with a loud bang.

Troy strode in like a storm, loud and full of swagger. His eyes zeroed in on Levi, sizing him up instantly. "Well, well, look who it is," Troy said, his voice full of teasing venom.

Levi straightened, a tension coiling in his posture. "Troy," he greeted, his voice cool, but I noticed his fingers gripping the counter a little tighter.

"How do you two know each other?" I asked, glancing between them.

Troy smirked. "Lang’s Bar. Pool games. Let’s just say Levi here is good with a cue."

Levi’s expression remained neutral, though his eyes flickered briefly with something I couldn’t place. "We’ve had a few games."

"Few games?" Troy raised an eyebrow. "You wiped the floor with me more times than I care to admit." He turned to me, adding, "But I still call him a friend. Guess we all have our demons."

The remark hung in the air, and I could feel the tension bubbling beneath the surface. I could sense that this wasn’t just about pool games anymore. There was history between them, unspoken but thick, palpable.

"Isn’t that right, Levi?" Troy pushed, crossing his arms, daring him to engage.

Levi met his gaze, his voice low but steady. "I never said I was perfect, Troy."

Troy’s grin widened, but it didn’t reach his eyes. "No, you didn’t. But then again, neither am I."

I glanced between the two men, feeling the electricity in the room heighten. It felt like watching a fuse burn, and any wrong word would set it off. So, I did what I always did in these moments—lightened the mood. "Okay, enough testosterone. You two need a drink or what?"

Troy chuckled, his posture relaxing a bit as he moved away from Levi. "You’re right. I need something stronger than this tension," he said, heading toward the kitchen. "Beer, anyone?"

"Sure," Levi muttered, his eyes lingering on Troy before turning back to me. There was something unreadable in his gaze, something that felt too heavy for the casual banter we’d been sharing.

I moved toward the refrigerator, pulling out a few bottles of beer. "Here," I said, passing one to Troy and then to Levi.

Levi took it, his fingers brushing mine briefly. It wasn’t much, just a fleeting touch, but it sent a jolt through me that I wasn’t prepared for. His eyes met mine for a moment, a brief flicker of something passing between us. Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone.

Troy returned, leaning against the counter with a beer in hand. "So, what’s the plan, guys? Are we having a heart-to-heart, or are we just pretending like we’re not all carrying emotional baggage?"

I groaned. "Troy, seriously? You’re laying it on thick tonight."

"Hey, I’m just saying," Troy shrugged, his smirk back in full force. "We’ve all got our issues, right? Why not air them out?"

Levi raised an eyebrow, his voice smooth and deceptively light. "Is this your way of offering therapy, Troy?"

"Sure," Troy replied, taking a long swig of his beer. "I charge by the hour, though."

I laughed, despite the tension still simmering under the surface. "I’ll pass, thanks."

Levi’s eyes softened, his posture relaxing slightly as he took a drink from his own bottle. "Don’t worry, Ella. We’ll get through this without Troy’s help."

"Hey!" Troy protested, but there was a grin on his face. "I’m not that bad, am I?"

"You’re not great," I teased.

Troy shot me a look of mock offense. "Okay, fine, fine. I’ll leave the deep stuff for another night." He turned to Levi, his grin fading slightly. "But seriously, man. I know we’ve had our differences, but I’m glad you’re here. Luke... well, he needs someone."

Levi’s expression tightened, his jaw clenching for a moment. "I’m not here for Luke."

Troy nodded, his face sobering. "I know. But he’s still your brother."

Levi didn’t respond right away, his gaze flicking toward the floor. "Yeah. He is."

The room fell into a heavy silence, the weight of their words settling between us. I could feel the history, the unresolved tension between them all. It was like standing on a fault line, waiting for the inevitable shift that would send everything crashing down.

"I think I’m gonna head out," Troy finally said, breaking the silence. "Got some stuff to take care of."

"Sure," I said, watching him head for the door. "See you later."

"Yeah," he said, glancing back at Levi one last time before disappearing through the door.

Once he was gone, the room felt smaller, more intimate. I turned to Levi, unsure of what to say. "You okay?"

He nodded, though his expression remained guarded. "I’m fine."

I didn’t believe him, but I didn’t push. "Okay. Well, if you need to talk, I’m here."

Levi’s eyes softened, a small smile playing at the corner of his lips. "Thanks, Ella."

The air between us shifted, something unspoken passing between us. I could feel the pull, the undeniable tension that had been simmering since he’d arrived. It was as if the distance between us was shrinking, and with every word, every glance, we were getting closer to something neither of us were ready for.

Before I could say anything more, Levi turned, walking toward the door. "I’ll see you later," he said quietly, his voice soft but firm.

"Yeah," I replied, my voice barely a whisper.

As the door closed behind him, I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I was holding. There was something about Levi, something that was pulling me in, and I wasn’t sure I was ready for what that meant.