I side-glanced Topper and he burst out laughing, knowing I would either have to lie and cover up my feelings or tell the truth that I hadn't admitted to myself yet. "That Topper loves Sarah." I came up with a quick answer, shielding the attention from me over to my best friend.

Rafe turned to him with wide eyes, confusion spread across his face. "I'm hurt that you didn't tell me, Top. I thought we were best friends." He feigned being hurt, downing his drink.

Our banter continued before Rafe pulled me up and on the dance floor when a slow song came on. I protested in a whisper but he only smirked and held me by my hand before wrapping his other arm around my waist.

"I thought you liked dancing." He teased, pulling me close to his body.

I craned my neck up to stare up at him and frowned. "I do, my feet hurt from my heels." I blurted, watching as he tilted his head back and let out a laugh.

"It seems I need to start bringing more comfortable shoes for you when we go places." He hummed, spinning me before bringing me back to him.

"I wouldn't oppose." I smiled, following his steps as we danced.

We continued dancing before I noticed the saddened expression take over his face. He stared into my eyes and watched as I scrunched my face up in concern. "What's wrong? Did I accidentally step on your foot?" I joked.

"No," He breathed out a chuckle. "I just don't want to leave this place. I don't want to leave you. I want to stay like this forever, with you and no one else."

"What are you saying?" I asked, my face slacking once I saw the small smile lining his lips.

"Lane, I know you're not stupid. I think you know what I'm saying." He gave me a pointed look and I restrained myself from laughing.

"Being blunt is not a good trait on you." I teased, avoiding his eyes as I guessed what his next words were going to be.

But, he only brought my face to stare at his before holding my hand again. "I didn't want to do this here but I can't hold it in any further with the way you look tonight."

Before he could speak further, a noise of someone clearing their throat sounded from beside us. We both exited the trance we were in and looked to our right, finding Cassian standing with a forced smile on his lips.

"How lovely it is to see you, Lane. Do you mind if I take this next dance?" He asked, staring directly at me as if Rafe wasn't standing there.

To avoid problems, I glanced at Rafe and noticed the furious look on his face, knowing he couldn't say what he wanted to say now that Cassian was here. I subtly nodded at him and he sent a threatening glare toward Cassian before leaving to find Topper.

"You look stunning, Lane. I was going to come over here to compliment you but you were busy with your friends." He complimented me, taking my hand in his and dancing to the rhythm of the new song.

I chuckled and looked away, "Thank you, Cas. I haven't seen you around these past few days, where've you been?"

"After I got back from my trip with my brother, my father hounded me to help him with work. Plus, I was too embarrassed to see you after you refused to be my date." He laughed, nothing but sincereness in his voice.

𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 || RAFE CAMERONजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें