the change

~Ruby~

I was looking into the dark and thought about my family. Where do I go? I could stay here and die… or I could live on. What should I do? “this is gonna be harder then I thought um… I can’t be your mate.” Nathan’s voice echoed in the darkness. I felt the tears in my eyes “I can’t break Gracie’s heart.” Her heart what about mine! I was your mate! I roared out “you get it good then um don’t make a big scene out of this ok?” a big scene! A BIG SCENE!!! You rejected me! I’m your mate! Not my stepsister ME! You rejected me for my stepsister! I heard a growl… was that me? “Every wolf has two mates not one… so you can find your second mate.” Jango’s voice reminded me. Two mates… who needs a mate I already went through the heart break once why do it again! I just wanted to be happy now. No mate, no heart break, no pain… just family.

I woke and opened my eyes I was in my room. As I sat up looking around the room was empty except for a chair by my bed it looked worn in like someone never left my side. I rubbed my eyes and yawned when ‘CRASH!’ my dropped my hands as I jumped in the air seeing what looked similar to my cousin Tony. He looked in shocked then shouted “LITTLE RED YOUR AWAKE!!!” I covered my ears from the volume he used. “Tony?” I asked he nodded and ran forward forgetting the dish he broke on the floor and engulfed me into a hug. This Tony was larger than my cousin I remember. He was buffer than him too, his hair was shorter no longer surfer boy style his eyes were brighter then I remember. No longer a deep brown but a light chocolate. “you sure your my cousin?” I asked in a wheezing voice he was cutting off my air.

“OI! pup you’re gonna suffocate your cousin!” Jango’s voice rang Tony let me go and scratched the back of his neck. “sorry little red.” He stated Jango then sat in the chair and said “the day your cousin got sick was his first stage of transformation.” My eyes widened in shock. “That takes a week… I was out for a week!” he nodded and said “yeah and your cousin joined my pack.” Tony had a bright smile on his face then said “Alpha explained how you might not wake up but I’m glad you did!” I laughed at them and shook my head. “a week… am I going to go through that again?” he shook his head no. “you’ll never feel that male again unless he marks you.” He growled in anger Tony started to shake then he ran out of the room. “he’s still trying to control his anger.” I nodded and he looked around the room. “wanna get some fresh air?” I nodded with a smile. I didn’t feel depressed anymore I felt free… Nathan was no longer in my heart.

~Ruby’s father~

I held my head in my hands, last night I heard them…. My baby girl was probably screaming in agony from him. Gracie was no help either. She kept encouraging him to not mark her just yet. Nathan walked down stairs with a smile. “morning mr. Hoodly.” He smiled. I glared at him as did Angel my wife. “you don’t know what you did last night.” She stated he raised a brow “what do you mean?” he asked “Ruby felt everything you did she was your mate.” I growled. “so? It probably felt good for her.” I scoffed and said “it’s pain for your mate to feel that!” I roared. He didn’t react “she left the pack why should I care.” I growled at the boy. “your not fit to be an alpha!” my wife nodded. He growled and stood tall saying “are you doubting my authority!” I looked away and said “no sir.” Last week the alpha gave Nathan the title as our reigning alpha. He was in charge now that’s why… Gracie walked down stairs showing the mating mark on her neck. She had a bright smile on her face as if it was the best thing in the world.

~Ruby~

I sat on the porch as Jango was sitting by me. “you ok?” he asked I nodded and said “yeah I’ll be fine I just need time to get myself back together.” Tony ran onto the porch and said “well you got your whole life for that.” I smiled at him. “yeah and when I shift if I ever do then we can spar.” He smiled at me and nodded. “Can’t wait. What kind of fur do you think you’ll have?” I shrugged and said “don’t know it could be any kind.” He smiled I knew he was trying to help me forget my pain I went through with the mating process. I knew Jango was here watching over me to see if I would go back into a coma from the pain. They were both here trying to keep me alive like a family would do. I could still feel the numbness in my chest from all that pain.