Chapter Twenty-Seven

I flicked the switch, and suddenly Levi's old bedroom was filled with light. I stared at Levi's empty bed, and my throat constricted. Having said that, I found it easier to think about Ella using Levi's room than it was to imagine anyone else staying here. Entering Levi's room was not at all simple. I wanted Levi's room to remain his personal space, frozen in time. I knew it would remind me that he had a place to go back to, but I knew deep down that he wouldn’t.

My mind whispered to slam the door and pretend this room didn’t exist, just like I had been doing for the past half-year. Despite my thoughts, I clenched the handle of the phone, reminding myself that Levi wouldn’t want that. Levi would never have made Ella sleep on the cramped couch that first night she showed up. I hadn’t realized how awful it must have been for her to sleep there. Levi always said I was ignorant, and now I knew how right he was. Now, I knew how uncomfortable it must have been for her all those nights.

Still, it was strange, stepping into Levi's room, almost like I was holding my breath, waiting for something I couldn’t name. The reality settled in that Levi's room wasn’t Levi's room anymore. I had to accept it.

I traced the surface of Levi's desk with my hand. I couldn’t see the trail I wiped clean on the wood, but the fine dust covering the tips of my fingers told me how long it had been. Levi used to stay up all night planning for the Wailea hotel. The pens on his desk had scratched the finish from years of use. Everything in here screamed of the brother I lost, his lingering presence wrapping around me like an anchor I didn’t want to carry.

My breath became shallow, and I walked over to the window. Levi’s telescope was still aimed at the stars. He’d always been fascinated with the constellations and the stories behind them. Books stacked everywhere: some about astronomy, others on mythology, a few on physics. He had an insatiable curiosity, and I couldn’t look at them without feeling like I was suffocating.

I pushed the window open, letting in the cool air, but it didn’t help. It was too much. I gripped my head with my hands, backing out of the room too quickly. The door slammed a little harder than I intended.

I did not want to get sick. Not today. I had plans with Ella. I couldn’t let anything ruin those.

I cleaned up my own room and tried to shake off the lingering memories, but they clung to me like an invisible weight. As I finished up, I noticed Ella standing on the stairs, wearing one of my long-sleeve shirts. Her hair was messy, and her sleepy face was adorable. My unease melted away, replaced by warmth.

“Did I wake you?” I asked.

“No,” she yawned, covering her mouth. “I might as well stay awake.” She stretched, her face scrunching up in the cutest way. I couldn’t help but smile.

"You look like you need more sleep," I teased gently. She grimaced, leaning on the wall like she was proving her point.

"Yeah, well, the couch isn't exactly the most comfortable place in the world," she muttered, rubbing her neck.

I felt a sudden pang of guilt. How many nights had she been here, and I hadn’t even thought about her sleep? I blurted out, “You can have my bed tonight.”

Her eyes locked on mine, surprised. “No, I’m fine—”

“I insist,” I interrupted.

“The couch isn’t that bad—” she tried again.

“Ella,” I said firmly, meeting her gaze.

She snapped her mouth shut, watching me for a moment before letting out a soft sigh. “Fine. But only because I don’t want to argue.”

I led her to my room, feeling a bit triumphant, and opened the door. She hesitated in the doorway, looking at the bed like it was forbidden territory.

“Get in,” I urged.