I frowned, my thoughts drifting to Luke. I had only known him for a little over a week, but I already felt like there was so much more to him than what he let on. "He seems like someone who has a lot of people who want things from him," I said softly.

Dylan's expression darkened slightly, his gaze flickering to me. "Yeah, he does. It’s hard for him to know who’s real and who’s just after his money or status. That’s why he keeps his circle small."

I swallowed, feeling a strange twist in my gut. "Has he dated a lot of women?" I asked, trying to sound casual, though I wasn’t sure why I cared so much.

Dylan’s eyes sparkled with amusement. "You curious, Ella?"

I shot him a look, trying not to blush. "Just wondering if he’s the type to have girls falling at his feet all the time."

"He’s had his fair share of attention," Dylan admitted with a smirk. "But Luke’s not the type to chase after anyone. Women usually come to him, but he doesn’t put in much effort. He’s too wrapped up in his own world."

I huffed, crossing my arms. "That doesn’t surprise me."

Dylan chuckled softly. "You’re different, though."

My eyes snapped to his, my heart skipping a beat. "What do you mean?"

He gave me a knowing look. "He’s letting you stay here, isn’t he? Luke doesn’t do that for just anyone."

Before I could respond, the front door slammed shut, causing both of us to jump. We exchanged quick glances before I heard the unmistakable sound of heels clicking across the floor. My heart lurched in my chest.

Dylan’s eyes widened as he whispered, "That’s Luke’s mother."

Panic shot through me. "Oh shit," I hissed under my breath.

I stood up quickly, but it was too late. Mrs. Connor was already standing in the doorway, her eyes scanning the room before landing on me. Her sharp gaze took in the oversized T-shirt I was wearing—Luke’s T-shirt—and her perfectly manicured eyebrow arched.

"Who’s this?" she asked, her voice cool and demanding.

I swallowed hard, trying to pull the T-shirt down as if that would somehow make me look more presentable. "H-hello," I stammered, feeling completely out of place under her piercing gaze.

Mrs. Connor didn’t seem amused. "Ella, is it?"

Dylan jumped in quickly, his arm casually slung over the back of his chair. "Yes, Mrs. Connor, this is Ella. She’s… helping Luke with some personal matters."

Her eyes flickered between the two of us, clearly not buying the story. "Helping him? With what, exactly?"

I could feel the sweat forming on my palms. What the hell was I supposed to say? I hadn’t prepared for this kind of encounter. Dylan nudged me with his foot under the table, silently urging me to say something, anything.

"Uh, yeah, I’m… just staying here while I look for a new apartment," I finally managed to say, though my voice sounded shaky.

Mrs. Connor’s gaze didn’t soften. "I see. Well, I hope you’re not getting too comfortable," she said, her words laced with warning. "Luke doesn’t have time for distractions."

My cheeks flushed with embarrassment, but before I could respond, Dylan spoke up again. "Don’t worry, Mrs. Connor. I’m keeping an eye on her," he said with a wink.

Mrs. Connor’s lips thinned as she turned her attention back to me. "Just remember, dear," she said, her voice dripping with condescension, "Luke has a lot on his plate. I’d hate for him to be sidetracked by anything… temporary."

The implication was clear, and it stung more than I wanted to admit. I nodded quickly, wanting this conversation to be over. "Of course," I muttered, my heart pounding in my chest.

She gave me one last, disapproving glance before turning on her heel and walking out of the room, her heels clicking ominously as she left.

As soon as she was gone, I let out a long breath, sinking back into my chair. "Well, that was a disaster."

Dylan chuckled, shaking his head. "Don’t worry about her. She’s always like that. You just have to get used to it."

I groaned, burying my face in my hands. "I think I’m going to die of embarrassment."

Dylan reached over, giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "You’ll be fine, Ella. Luke’s a big boy. He can handle his mother."

I peeked out from behind my hands, giving him a weak smile. "I hope so. Because I think she just declared war on me."