Fight For Me- Chapter 9

“I should’ve known you would’ve pulled some stupid stunt like this! Why can’t you believe it’s different with me and you! C’mon Rikki!” Scott looked exasperated as he yelled and got a few people’s attention. I wanted to yell at them to mind their own business.

            “Because that’s what you’d want me to think! I told you from the start. I don’t want anything to do with you. Not now, not ever. You’re making a scene,” I was talking fast. He closed his eyes and rested his back against the tree. He put a hand to his forehead.

            “I should’ve known this would’ve happened. This isn’t some little love story. Of course you aren’t going to change anytime soon,” he opened his eyes and looked straight into mine. “You’re still always going to be raging bitch.”

            “Fuck you!” I pointed a finger at him.

            “You already did,” with that he smirked and casually walked away. I was speechless. I was right. That was all he wanted. I felt like dying. I felt like crying. Maybe I could do both, if I got lucky.

            ‘And there you go sounding like a suicidal teenager,’ my inner voice announced. I imagined shooting the little voice in the head.

            Okay, maybe I need some therapy.

            A hand touched my shoulder and I looked up to a grimly smiling boy. He was one of Caspin’s friends from yesterday. “Come on, let’s go cheer you up, pretty girl.”

            I still don’t know why I said okay. We were currently sitting on a bench in a park. He was actually pretty funny.

            “Some people just shouldn’t be that okay with their bodies to wear tight short shorts and a bikini top. I get it if you have a hot body. Not when your fat is hanging over,” we were having a discussion about the people around us. Apparently I spoke too loudly and the girl I was talking about turned and looked at me. I flushed red, but I no longer felt bad when she looked at him and waved like a little girl. He gave her a brilliant smile before slinging an arm over my shoulder. She scowled and walked out of sight.

            “Oh… my… god. The look on her face!” he imitated it as he spoke in between laughs. I joined him. It felt nice after today to smile and laugh, even if it was with a guy I didn’t even know.

            “What’s your name?” I asked suddenly, realizing I didn’t even know it. He grinned brilliantly at me this time and I nearly melted. Nope. Not going there.

            “Brandt,” he said, chuckling slightly. “Red, right? Or something like that?”

            “Rikki. Caspin just calls me that to piss me off. It doesn’t really. It’s kinda cute, I guess. Just not coming from his mouth.”

            “Can I call you Red?” he leaned to rest his elbows on his knees as he looked at me. I pulled my knees to my chest and flushed.

            “Uh, sure, Brandt. It doesn’t really matter, though,” I shrugged. Under the setting sun’s light, this boy looked gorgeous. What was with me and boys? Why couldn’t have been a girl that had offered to comfort me?

            “So, Red, tell me. Who was that guy that was yelling at you?” I sighed as he asked the question.

            “My ex-boyfriend, I suppose, that’s what I should call it. It would probably be more appropriate to say my ex-friend-with-benefits.”