Chapter 21: Interlude

They found Kairn in the library, where he was sorting through singed books. A feeling of guilt niggled at Isobel's mind as she saw the true extent of what her unstable magic had wrecked. The bookcases that had toppled over were standing again, but the floor was still littered with partially burnt pages and volumes. The Emissary of Ler looked up when they entered, and putting aside the book he was currently inspecting, he smiled.

"Ah, Nisa!" He came towards them. "I'm so happy to see that you're doing better. Yesterday was..." He shuddered. "Unpleasant. You've had some bad luck since arriving here."

She made a face. "That is quite the understatement. Definitely not what I had in mind when I came to visit Castel."

"Your brother must be beside himself." Kairn's face looked earnest in its concern, and she could sense no deceit from him. In fact, she could feel very few emotions at all. Some people were like that. Hard to read without physical touch and true effort. Boreas was like that as well.

"Castel is certainly not happy," the Spymaster said with wry amusement.

As if he hadn't even noticed the other man's presence before now, Kairn nodded towards him. "No brother would be, I imagine. I have no sisters, so I can't fully know, but the thought alone of something happening to Nisa is awful. And to think those men were right here under our noses! Do we know who they are?"

"Were," Boreas said, his voice tight. "I found them dead last night when I went to interrogate them."

Kairn's eyes widened. "Dead? But... How? They were guarded, were they not?"

"They were. We don't know who did it. But it would appear we have a traitor in Fort Mael, and we must find them as soon as possible." Boreas crossed his arms over his chest as he looked at the taller man. "Where did you go after you left Castel's chambers yesterday?"

A surprised laugh escaped the Emissary. "What? Do you think I—" He shook his head as if things would suddenly make more sense, then sighed. "Fine. Fine. I realise you must consider everyone a suspect at this point."

"Everyone," Boreas agreed. "I will be speaking to every single soul at Fort Mael if I must."

"To answer your question, I went to the medic to get patched up," Kairn said. His hand touched his upper arm where he'd been injured. He frowned. "I was there for maybe an hour while waiting for the medic to finish treating some soldiers who got injured during training. Then he stitched me up and sent me on my way. After that, I had a meeting with Dorn. You can ask him if you need to."

Isobel walked over to him and placed a hand on his lower arm while looking up to meet his green eyes. "I wanted to thank you for saving me yesterday," she said, and she meant it. If he had not arrived when he had, who knew what might have happened?

He covered her hand with his and smiled down at her, his face softening. "I'm only glad I arrived when I did."

Searching his eyes, she could sense no deceit, no ill will. His hand on hers was warm, and she allowed herself to enjoy the touch for another moment before pulling back. Glancing over her shoulder, she noticed Boreas watching them with a glint of interest in his gaze. Ignoring the Spymaster, she smiled at Kairn.

"Thank you again. I don't think I can ever repay you."

"Your safety is payment enough."

She motioned to the books strewn across the room. "Why don't I help you with this? It's the least I can do."

Kairn's face split into a wide grin. "I would never say no to help from a beautiful woman."

A strangled cough sounded behind them, and Isobel gave Boreas a quick scowl. She didn't need his input on flirting with this man.