Chapter Three

Some force in the universe must take pity on me, or perhaps Phoenix gets the hint. Tension eases out of my body when he remains where he is for the first four songs, which is also when the calming effects of the lemon drop shot Ava bought me kick in. I decline her offer of a second shot and opt for bottled water, then finally give my undivided attention to the band's performance.

They're a spectacular blur of energy and fun. I should have accepted one of Torin's many invitations and tagged along with Ava to a show well before tonight. Their original songs are infectious, and their cover songs electrify the room. By the time they announce the last song of their set, I'm every bit as energized as Ava and disappointed there won't be more.

Ava squeals at the opening notes of the song when she realizes it's a rock cover of "Baby, One More Time," then breaks into the Britney-esque dance moves she and I used to do together in our college days after a night at the clubs.

"Come on!" she yells at me over the music.

I have no reason to protest or hold back. She claps when I join in, and we dissolve into giggles before the end of the final verse. Now I wish we had more songs to be silly and dance to, or I do until I pause for a sip of water and notice Phoenix watching us. My joy comes to a screeching halt.

"What do you think about bailing on the after party and finding something else to do tonight?" I suggest. "Maybe more dancing at Hakkasan?"

If there's one person I can't fool, it's Ava. She throws a dark look in Phoenix's direction, then turns her side-eye on me.

"Not a chance. We aren't letting that sparkle pony change our plans for the night." She tosses her hair over her shoulder, then reaches out her hand. "Can I have some of your water?"

I pass her the bottle and don't hear what she says next. Phoenix is headed our way.

"We should go." I turn on my heel and beeline for the exit. I'm already past the door and in the casino by the time Ava catches up to me.

"Whoa, slow it down. Where's the fire?"

"Hopefully not following us." I hurry past a few game tables, then turn into a row of slot machines. It's a good enough hiding spot for now.

"Sit," Ava commands. "Please remember who the hell you are, and I don't mean who you were six or eight years ago. There's no reason for you to run."

Uh oh. She's wearing the "don't-even-consider-arguing-with-me" expression that's been perfected throughout the course of her public relations career. I plop onto a seat in front of a slot machine.

"I can't help it. Seeing him brought me back there."

"Then I'm hauling you into the present, where you belong. Did you or did you not hit the New York Times bestseller list with your last novel?" She puts her hands on her hips and stares me down.

"Yes." I consider noting that it didn't crack the top five, but she fires another question at me before I can.

"How many of your novels are being adapted for film as we speak?"

"Two."

"And what person in the bar tonight wrecked his career, nosedived to the Z-list, and is completely irrelevant to anyone now?"

"Phoenix."

Ava arches an eyebrow. She appears to be satisfied with my answers. "Correct on all three. You have every reason to stand your ground, ignore him, and continue to be the stunning, successful, and strong woman you are. So let's find an Uber, go to Torin's house, and have a better time than should be legal. Besides, I have a plan."