. the cool kids .

"JJ and John B conked out in the marsh," Pope says, calling out to Kiara as she comes toward the boat with him and myself. "They need a tow."

"Uh, okay, well, what does that have to do with me?" She asks.

"Three things," I say. "First, you're apparently the best mechanic in the group, according to Taylor, and boys are useless. Two, you get the chance to say you're better to their face. Three, we should talk."

Kiara nods. "Those three things line up." She gets on the boat and while Pope drives away, toward the planned destination. Then she looks at me, her expression softening. "I'm sorry, Gwen, about everything this might be doing to you. I don't want to hurt you for what I feel for Sarah but-"

"It's okay, Kie," I assure her, not completely honest, "we'll figure something out. I can be friends with both of you."

"I don't want to lose you."

"And you won't. I promise." With that, I pull her into a real hug with real meaning because it's very needed for both of us while Pope drives us to where we'll be leaving her alone with the blond girl she doesn't seem to like.

And soon enough, they're at the dead boat. JJ, Taylor, and John B come running to the boat with Pope and myself, jumping into the water briefly to get on the plastic. Kiara frees Sarah on accident. They come to the edge, yelling at us.

"Get your asses back here!" Kiara demands,

"We can't!" John B yells back. "Not until you two figure it out."

"I will kill every single one of you!"

Sarah adds, "You can't just leave!"

"There's food in the cabin and JJ rolled a blunt," Taylor calls back.

"Hydroponic!" JJ yells.

I wave at my best friend from the boat as we leave the two on their own. "Have fun!" I'm pretty sure Sarah yells at me and Kiara yells at Taylor but we're too far gone to properly hear them. I turn to the boys. "You're aware that this could bite you in the ass even more, right?"

"I am aware, yes," John B says.

"Good to know," Taylor says. "If Kiara's past the point of no return when we get back, I'm blaming it on you."

He nods a little, understanding his friend's feelings for Kiara. "Good to know."

. the cool kids .

JJ Maybank finds me again. He sits down on the grassy section of the beach as we watch the sun set in front of us. This time, he stretches his legs out first, our fingers brushing once again. Neither of us look at how close we are but it's clear we're both thinking of it as we avoid each other's glances. Even with everything going on, we're stuck in this loop of emotions.

"He would be proud of you," JJ says quietly.

I manage to nod. "I'm doing this for them. Both of them."

I feel JJ's hand over mine after a moment. When I look at him, he's already looking at me with the kindest eyes I could ever imagine someone looking at me with. "You should be doing it for yourself, Gwen."

"I am now," I assure him. For myself; for Jake and Tasha... for the boy in front of me. That's all for me in a way. "But I'm glad you care."

He smiles. "Don't want my Captain slash Doc slash Princess to feel like she shouldn't be doing this for herself."

"Your Captain?" I joke, raising my eyebrow with a smirk.

He shrugs. "And Doc and Princess. Jake can keep Ghost... or maybe John B's stolen that nickname from him? I'm not sure. I just know it's not mine."

The Cool Kids - JJ Maybankजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें