Chapter 28 Zara's Past

Elle ran out of the room, down the hallway. Tears blurred her vision. She swipped at her face and eyes.

She heard Zara calling her name as she ran through the door and into the bright dusty ally. She ran faster. Her pants giving her freedom of movement that Zara didn't have.

Elle was horrified that anyone, even Sir Travis, could see her like that. Shame burned her cheeks.

She wanted to deny the accusations of the painting. Her own dreams called her a liar.

She dreamed about Captain Talbot. She wanted the feel of his mouth on hers again.

She hadn't called a halt to the kiss in Zara's room. If Zara hadn't knocked on the door, Elle knew that the kiss would have continued. She had revealed in it.

She knew what that made her. She knew what it meant that she dreamed about more kissing.

She remembered how she felt when she woke. Her body wet, aching, unfulfilled.

She knew why Sir  Travis saw her like that painting. He knew her secret before she even discovered it.

She stiffled a sob as her foot found a loose stone. Her foot twisted, weight shifted, she reached out to catch her fall.

Her hands stung as stones scrapped over her skin.

A hand landed on her shoulder. She gasped and recoiled.

"Elle, it's me." Zara's voice entoned gently. Elle slumped in the street. Elle had forgotten that Zara had followed her. "Here."

Zara helped her to her feet.

"Come on let's get back to the tavern."

"No." Elle said and took a step back.

"Elle, I know you're upset but we'll both be safer at the tavern." Zara urged her. "We can talk in my room. Privately."

"You don't understand. I-the- It's true." Elle said monotone. More tears blurred her vision. Zara's confused face swam in front of her when she dared look up.

"What's true?" Zara asked.

"Me." She said and looked away.

Zara shook her head. "I don't understand."

"We..we can't talk here." Elle said when she noticed two women watching them from across the street. Both women carried wicker baskets. The older woman had hers propped on her hip and her arm stretched out holding it in place.

"Okay. We can talk in my room." Zara said as she followed Elle's gaze over to the two women.

Both women suddenly found the pottery sign to be of extreme interest. But Zara's glair may have had an influence.

They ambled back to the tavern. Elle kept her eyes focused on the ground. Her mind spinning.

She loved Zara. Zara was like a sister. The sister she never had.

She understand what Zara did for a living. She knew that people looked down their noses at her.

But Zara only did it to survive. It was the only way she had to make money. She did not do it because she liked it. She did it so she had a roof over her head, a bed to sleep in, food to eat, and clothes to wear. She did it to pay for the things that only money can buy.

Elle look up as they entered the taverns main dining area. The dim light allerted her they were nolonger outside. She kept her eyes focused on the staircase.

Zara lite a lamp as soon as they entered her room.

"Okay. Now you can explain." She said as she sat down on the bed and motioned for Elle to do the same.

Elle found the words spilling out. Everything. She even told Zara about her dreams.

Zara sat silently, listening. She would nodd her head or pat Elle's arm but she remained quiet.

Elle looked at the floor. Her words all said she waited. And waited. "Z?" She questioned.

"I'm trying to figure out how to say this." Zara said. She sighed. "From what you said I gather that you know the basics of séx. Or at least most of it. I understand why you, um, have low expectations.

"Elle, séx isn't a bad thing. It's not something to take lightly. The dreams don't make you a bad person or a whôre. They're normal, Elle.

"Sir Travis is a twisted man that hides behind his title and his money and his corupt friends. Don't give his thoughts of you any power in your life."

"But did you see Captain Talbot's face? He... I think he sees it too."

"OK. This is were it gets hard to explain. Sometimes you want to be seen as a passionate woman." She started shaking her head, because Elle was looking at her in horror. "No, Elle. Hear me out. Sometimes you DO want to be seen as a passionate woman. It just depends on who's looking." She explained. She searched Elle's face.

"OK. Sir Travis is one of the people that see passionate women as a dirty, vile things to be used and abused. I would love to say that there are very few men like him but there aren't. You have to realize that there are men like him. They use women and enjoy causing pain."

She looked around the room but Elle didn't think she was really seeing it. She looked lost in her own thoughts. Elle swallowed the lump in her throat.

After a few silent moments she looked at Elle.

"I think that I should explain how I know about Sir Travis." She sighed heavily. "When I first left home I found a job as a maid. I worked for Lady Bridgett, Sir Travis's mother. I was an innocent. I knew even less then you about the relationships of men and women.

" I was there only a week before I caught Sir Travis's attention. He spoke to me any chance he found me alone. He even created reasons to find me. After three weeks of his unwanted attention I started doing anything I could to avoid him.

"It wasn't enough. He found me alone in the orchard. He forced himself on me. He laughed as I cried and told him I would tell. He said it wouldn't matter who I told. I was just a dirty little whóre. He claimed I had asked for it. He left me on the ground, sobbing. I had nowhere to go. No money. I stayed. Each time he found me alone he found new ways to hurt and humiliate me.

"Buy the time I was there six months I believed the things he said. But I couldn't take añy more. The bruises never healed because he replaced them.

"I ran as soon as I could. I didn't even give Lady Bridgett notice or tell her where to forward my pay.
"I ended up here. My money was gone in a matter of weeks. For a year I was scared he would find me." She looked Elle in the eyes.

I know I said I wouldn't post it yet, but I managed to get it typed. So here it is and I hope you enjoy it. If you see any mistakes let me know. Love you all and I appreciate you greatly.