(C14)

Vivian Grey

I was running.
I was running for my life.
I was running for my freedom.
I was running for my very own nature.
I was running from the last person I'd thought I'd run from in my life.
I was running from my mate.
I was running from Zaliver.

I couldn't hear him because of the pounding in my ears, the sound of my heart drumming like a hummingbird's wings, the twigs and dead leaves that snapped under me echoed in the silent forest and because he didn't want me to.

But I knew.

I knew he was close by.

And that only made me push myself harder, my hair whipped around my face as I looked around for anything to gain leverage. I couldn't climb, he'd climb too and I couldn't run forever my body couldn't handle it. But his could.

Because he wasn't like me. He wasn't like any of us.

I felt tears of fear and panic stream down my face, my muscles ached for a break, but I couldn't. I wouldn't. My vision blurred because of of the tears making it hard to see where to run. My emotions were all over the place confusion, disbelief, fear, betrayal, anger, and a bit of hatred. Yes, hatred for my own mate. He was doing this against my will because he couldn't stand the thought of another taking me.

In a way I brought this on myself, I must have pushed him across the invisible line. I underestimated just how much Zaliver wanted the bond and now he was going to prove it to me.

I looked behind me every time I thought I heard him, but when I saw nothing but darkness it just added to my fear because when I looked back I could swear I felt him breathing down my neck. I could feel his cold breath and hear his rough breathing, feel the immense body heat his form gave off.

I use to laugh and rant on about the girls that would look back in horror movies and then trip. Now I realized that when you fear for your life and get chased, you want to make sure you put as much distance between you and your could be killer and since seeing is believing. . .

I'd run to a certain direction for too long and he'd speed past me, so fast that it felt like a strong gust of wind were about to knock me over, but I would see a dark blur in the wind. I'd skid to a fall and stumble back up and run in another direction. I had scrapes and scratches but I couldn't feel them with the adrenaline pumping through my veins. Even with my night vision, I couldn't see past the trees and vines, but I knew it must have already been sundown or maybe it was already night by now.

This was why he walked us so far from everyone, he knew I'd run and he wanted a chase.

He cut me off again, I fell and rolled to a stop all the way to a tree, my back hitting it roughly, the air leaving my lungs but I stood up and ran with shaky legs. I gasped for air.

I didn't know where I was going. I didn't know if I could get far away from him to call help. But then what? He had every wolf under his command, so what if I got away from him right now? I was on his island.

This wasn't going to end well for me and he knew that. I knew that.

This was all a sick game to him. Release and Catch. I guess he wanted me to feel like at the end of the day I put up a good fight, but that he'd always win so that at least that way it'd seemed fair. It was a good plan, but I wouldn't fall for it.

My breaths came short and fast, I couldn't even feel the air rushing into my lungs. I was cold, the air was cold, but I was running and I wouldn't stop. I couldn't. But I was so tired. I didn't know for how long we've been at this, me running and him cutting me off, but exhaustion cut deep at me. I was surprised I'd lasted this long, I'd quit track team as a child, but it appears old habits die hard.